Tosh HD not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Toshiba HD (HDDR320E03X) a while back and lost the cable, i finally got around to picking a new one up, but my hard drive wont boot, the power light turns on, but the drive doesn't spin and doesn't show up in my computer.

the cable i bought is a Gigaware USB-A male to mini USB-B male, USB 2.0... as far as i can tell the cable should work.

Does tosh drives need tosh cables or is there something wrong with my hard drive?

Toshiba hard drives are among the most reliable of all laptop drives... famous for it...
But it appears you are using an external enclosure, and enclosures are significantly less reliable...
One way to get closer is to reformat the hard drive in the computer, then look for red, yellow, or black flags in the Device manager after reformattting.

its an external hard drive, does that make a difference? i was trying to reformat it earlier today and i cant get it to show up in device manager, but yes, tosh hard drives are amazing, my laptop has one and never had a problem with it at all, i love it. But my external is a different story, i bought it to store music, pictures, school work, stuff like that

The only real difference is that a lot of the enclosures have poorly made electronics, encouraging early failure.

Also, the power from a USB cable off a laptop is not really adequate. If you use an enclosure which has its own power source and not just a USB connection, they work signicantly better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back