Toshiba agrees to purchase OCZ's SSD business for $35 million

Shawn Knight

Staff member

OCZ’s days are officially numbered as the company has reached an agreement to sell their solid state drive division to Toshiba for just $35 million. Specifically, the deal covers OCZ’s client and enterprise solid state drive business which includes OCZ's proprietary controllers, firmware and software, as well as the teams responsible for bringing those solutions to market.

The transaction has been approved by OCZ’s board of directors and is expected to close within the next two months. In the interim, Toshiba will be providing OCZ with DIP (Debtor-in-Possession) financing to ensure there is enough capital and flash support to keep the company afloat during the sale period.

toshiba ocz ssd

OCZ’s press release made no mention about the company’s power supply business, however. If you recall, OCZ scooped up PC Power & Cooling back in May 2007 and has been offering power supplies ever since. It’s one of the few lines that survived the product line cutback last year.

The sale also includes OCZ’s established brand and sales channels although it is unclear if Toshiba will continue to use the OCZ brand or simply roll their technology into Toshiba-branded products. If I had to take a guess, I would suspect Toshiba would use their own brand instead of OCZ’s as the latter has suffered some reliability issues in recent memory.

Vice President of Toshiba's Semiconductor and Storage Company and Corporate Vice President of Toshiba, Seiichi Mori, said the combination of their leading NAND technology with OCZ’s SSD expertise will allow them to further strengthen Toshiba’s SSD business.

Permalink to story.

The above 2 comments baffle me.Toshiba doesn't have much in the SSD department so it'll be a good acquisition for them. Toshiba, while seemingly not a popular company here to the basic consumer in the US has a great reputation with some of the business I have worked for and I have had solid experiences with their products myself. I, in no way, see Toshiba as "f**ked".

I miss that old PCP&C. Hope that they make it out alive. They were one of my favorite power supply brands.

I, in no way, see Toshiba as "f**ked".
Honestly, I don't either. I don't even see OCZ that way, they are pitching the company out the window just to be doing it. It wasn't plain to see but I was being sarcastic. I think Toshiba knows what they are getting into, and don't think OCZ is in that bad of shape.

Back