Toshiba external hdd usb2 troubles !

By richardjaar
Nov 27, 2007
  1. well here's the thing . .
    i have a toshiba external hdd 320 gb usb 2 !!! and i connected it to a windows xp sp2 ... on a hp pavillion dv5000 laptop . .. (pretty good computer)
    here's wt has been happening recently ..
    i connected the harddisc to the laptop and the usb icon says to me : this driver can work faster and stuff.....and the copying speed from the computer to the harddisc is pretty low.. . !!!!!!
    i don't remember that i was havin this problem be4. . .
    and i tried connecting the hdd on other computers.. . it works just fine !!
    i copied 3.7 gb to it in just 4 mins !!!
    so i thought it's my computer . . but i connected an another 300 gb harddisc to my laptop and it worked extremely well . . . i mean it copied the same 3.7 gb in 4 mins !!

oh .. and i forgot to say that it takes about 3 mins to recognize it completely and open files.. . and it sometimes blocks the computer for 2 mins.. . and sometimes.. disables the wifi device which is connected through the usb !

so i have know idea wt's wrong. . i went to hp to c if there were any updates for my hp usb . . and i updated ...but stilll the same problem . .. !!

any idea anyone ? ?!!!

plz help. me if possible !!!!! :(
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

You might have to reformat the USB 320 on the laptop to get it to be more compatible... Who knows why...
  3. fastco

fastco TS Booster Posts: 1,122

Have you changed the external hard drive enclosure? Mine does the same thing because the external enclosure is cheap USB 1.0
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.