Toshiba HD Disk.Sys Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Techspot Users,

Just yesterday my HP Pavillion Laptop was working fine until later on it wouldn't boot the OS due to an error I received. The laptop continues to go to the screen which allows you to choose what type of troubleshooting you want to do. I can not even go into "Safe Mode", "Boot Windwos Normally" or "Last Known Good Configuration". I have received the error stating "Disk.Sys" error. I believe this to be the Master Boot Record. Does anyone have any utilities I can download and use to check the status of the drive or any links as to were to go for downloads? I need to get information off of this drive before tossing it; too much important items on the drive.
Please let me know as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Peter Dederko

Disk.sys is a PnP system disk driver for Windows. This may hint at data loss/corruption, problems with memory or a virus.

Disk.sys is not related to the MBR. If you had MBR problems, you're computer would be completely unbootable (never reaching the Windows boot loader) and possibly all of your data would be gone. :( Fortunately, this is not the case (or so we can assume at this point).

You should run a manufacturer's disk diagnostic to certify your drive is in good, physical health. Afterwards, run www.memtest.org to verify your memory has no issues. Continuing to troubleshoot this error without doing so may dig a deeper hole if either of these things are the source of your issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back