Toshiba intros 100GB, 200GB HDDs for cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Toshiba has unveiled a pair of new 2.5-inch internal hard drives, the 100GB MK1060GSC and 200GB MK2060GSC. Both are destined for use in infotainment applications, such as in motor vehicles, and are touted as the "industry's highest capacity HDD available for automotive applications."

Features include a single-platter, low-powered design with a spindle speed of 4,200RPM, a 12ms seek time, and an operational noise of 23dB. Toshiba's latest products offer 78% quicker internal transfer rates compared its previous series.

They're also seemingly robust, being cleared for use in altitudes between -300 and 5,650m as well as temperatures between -30 and +85C. Additionally, they offer an operating shock resistance of 2,940m/s and a vibration resistance of 50 to 200Hz.

No price was disclosed, but it's mostly irrelevant. While the drives are set for mass production in August of this year, they won't reach consumer availability and will reportedly be limited to OEMs.

Permalink to story.

Seems like SSD would be a better fit for installation in an auto. Granted it's much more expensive but who needs more than 40GB-60GB of MP3s in the car.

During rush-hour traffic, an acquaintance of mine had the car in front of him stop, then back right up into the front of his car. He honked, but couldn't go anywhere. Then the guy who backed up into him evaded him, eventually getting behind him and took a picture of his license plate. That guy was running some insurance scam. But now it's my friends word vs. this other guy. If he had a dash cam, there would be enough proof to the insurance company that this guy was committing fraud. I'd really like a hard drive and some cameras on a continuous loop to cover my butt from these insurance scammers on the road today.

And if that hard drive had some music stored on it, that would be cool.

Shock is an acceleration (m/s/s) The listed number is a velocity (also incorrect in the linked article). That number, assuming the digits are correct, translates to 300-g. a typical football hit rarely exceeds 100-g.

I am impressed they can get this rigidity from a platter drive. I would really think a SSD would be the better option. The biggest item with the cost will be the engineering that it takes to design this.

I do like the idea of in-car storage though. Not only for music, but also the the minivans and SUV's with the TVs for kids, they can just upload 10-20 videos and not have to deal with the screaming kid when they realize they left Finding-Nemo at grandmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back