Toshiba Laptop...Possible GPU failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First id like to introduce myself...I go by the name of GeRm...I reside in Miami,FL and im a certified Pc technician just looking for a second opinion...my situation is as follows below

I bought a Toshiba F-15 AV201 from CompUsa a few days ago (unfortunately we are shutting down:( )....anywho upon boot up i got a windows xp splash screen with blue vertical lines going down it and then a BSOD...so i reformatted the unit and after the video drivers were installed the vertical lines stopped...so i bought it and took it home thinking everything was working fine (since reformatting it in the shop and installing all the drivers it was working fine that whole day)...anywho the next day im listening to music and all of a sudden the music distorts for like half of a second and my LCD goes out but the actual backlight of the LCD is still on and computer still running. The only way to shut down is to hold the power button....so after a restart the qosmio screen is distorted and my windows xp splash screen is with the blue vertical lines again and i get 2 BSOD's either with a NV_mini.sys error or a Page fault error...but in safe mode the computer works flawlessly and if a i disable the video card the computer boots up normally with no problems Im calling the GPU messed up...but here are some facts

-The F-15 series have a defect from manufacturer regarding video issues from the Nvidia Go5700,Toshiba is upgrading my Mobo and my graphics card to a Nvidia Go 6600 Free of charge

-Would a 15v 5A adapter have an affect when the computer is suppose to take a 15v 6a?...mind u i bought it used and had to find all the parts in the tech shop...obviously the charger gets hot because its not the right one but would it cause my screen to go out like that?

pretty much to make a long story short i am defenitly leaning toward the GPU as the culprit....does anyone disagree and think its the inverter board or LCD?...thanks in advance

~GeRm

Sounds like it would be a GPU problem, because since it is an LCD screen, you shouldnt get lines going across the screen that dont show up in safe mode, or in the POST.

If your system has trouble running on battery power then I don't think that the adapter is causing your problems.

AFAIK, there's no possibility to fit the qosmio F25 mobo in the F15 qosmio case. i'm VERY doubt, that Toshiba was able to do it :)
and as for this thread - this is typical problem for all F10,F15,G10,G15 series,and (not fuly verified) for F20-G20 qosmio laptops. however, the replacing the videochip is quite simple procedure for those, who has adequate soldering equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back