Toshiba laptop power problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a two year old Toshiba Satellite laptop that I LOVE and has been virtually problem free since the day I bought it two years ago. I leave it plugged into power source almost all the time, since it's the only computer I use at work, so it's rarely "portable". The other day, I wanted to move it to another room so I pulled the power plug out and the computer turned off. I thought that was odd and that the battery should have kicked in since it was obviously "charged", but whatever.... So I rebooted, it turned on for a split second or so, then shut off, it had no power. When I plug it back in, it's fine. Can the battery be dead????? After two years?? I did remove the battery and put it back in, but that made no difference. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

laptop batteries must be exercised. leaving it plugged in all the time and never using the battery is a sure way to ruin it.

UPS batteries, however, are just the opposite. (keep 'em plugged in.)

no problem. Most rechargable batteries develop a "memory" of their charged state. This includes llithium-ion, nickle-cadmium, lead-sulphur and others. Ni-cad batteries are the worst for developing memories if they are not exercised. To effectivly use rechargable batteries, they should be drained all the way periodically, so the cells don't get "lazy" (in layman's terms). Chemically they crystalize. The only exception to this rule is lead batteries. and only then, certain types of lead batteries. Car batteries (which are liquid) and UPS batteries which most are gel batteries, must be charged all the time, otherwise sulphur crystals develop when the plates are exposed to oxygen (as a process of discharging) and hydrogen is released as a gas as process of discharging also. Solid lead batteries and hybrids sometimes are an exception.

So a rule of thumb with laptops is to exercise the batteries at least 2 to 3 times a month. Let them discharge all the way or most of the way - they'll last longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back