Toshiba laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

projectXb0X

PLEASE some1 help ive recently got a toshiba laptop from college.. and when i tried setting my moderm up on it the battery died... and when i rebooted it the log in to windows screen came up.. my normal user name and password dosnt work so i tried putting a new copy of windows XP on it but its not booting from the disc its just going straight to the log on to windows screen..

plus i cant get into the set up.. i dunno what to do

if any1 has any ideas pls get bk to me thank PX

I believe that there is a keypress which will allow you to select boot from cd try F12 or F10.

If you can read the writing at boot up it should tell you the keypress for bootdevice select or to enter setup. usually F2 DEL for setup and one of the high Fn keys for bootdevice select.

At winlogon screen try holding down CTRL+ALT and then hit the DEL key twice, type in Administrator and try to log on with blank password,

if you can then save your data, delete your non working account, perform a full maintainance on your system including a defrag and then create yourself a new account. restart and see if it works.

pcaceit said:
I believe that there is a keypress which will allow you to select boot from cd try F12 or F10.
F12 for Toshiba to set BOOT from CD

ok thanks. but when i did boot up from the CD. It still went back to the admin login screen....

all i want to do is format it, but i need to either format it before the login screen or somehow someway get pass the login screen. PX

still not working

Ive been up allnight the laptop still not working. ive tried booting from the cd. Putting passwords in, and still cant get past the (username/domain name)..

I really need help isnt there normally a backdoor password or a program which over rides the login screen because booting from the cd, dosntelp even when i put a brand new windows xp disc in the disc drive. im lost there must be away... please if anyone has any more idea's let me know..

Thanks

PX

OK, If you hit F12 when you boot up and select CD/DVD you will then see a message for about 3secs that says press any key to boot from cd. so hit any key. Setup will then start, at the next screen with options! press enter to continue installing windows. and after that just follow instructions to perform repair, format, etc..

other than that you can download wininternals erd, ultimate boot cd, MINIpe2xt or hirens boot cd, they all have password reset utilities on them. try searching techspot downloads first, otherwise try www.9down.com.

Wininternals ERD is the easiest one to use.

if you still can not boot from the cd then you will have to set the boot order from the Bios setup, Hit F2 or DEL at bootup then navigate to boot options and select CD/DVD as first boot device.

thats the thing, i it wont let me in the bios to change it.
i follow the instruction when i put the disc in but no matter what i do it goes to that user/domain name

Are you hitting the correct key before it goes to starting windows? do you have to hold down shift,FN or some other key to switch the keybd to the Function keys?

sounds to me like you are not hitting the F2 or F12 during post (while its displaying info like your processor and memory info)

was the laptop set to boot to your college network?

seems possible that its a Bios setting that's Locking you out, But you still still be able to get into the setup to change the boot from network option.

I have seen where Security settings in the bios will only allow you to boot from network, the instruction to do this was on the hdd and initialized when the bios detected the hdd during post, but that was only on organisations that required highest level security.

Im not sure that this is the case!!!! but if it was then the network administrator would have to disable it.

but it does look as if you are not hitting the Function keys at the right time to get into setup or bootdevice options! but if you are and it will let you in then i would ask the network administrator for instructions.

Another way is to remove the hdd from the laptop and erase it in another laptop that does boot from the cd, or put the hdd in a portable usb storage device and erase it that way.

Hope someone else has a better solution "COME ON GUYS" Howard where are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back