Toshiba m40 laptop keyboard going haywire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I have a toshiba m40 laptop purchased aproximately a year ago and never had a problem with the keyboard. About a week ago I decided to install an antivirus program offered by my university which is the University of British Columbia. It is a free anti virus offered because they cut a deal with the company. The program was called Sophos and after I installed it my keyboard began acting up.

What I mean is, toshiba keyboards have secondary functions which can be accessed by using the fn key and turning on the numeric/arrow function keys. So basically whenever I'm trying to type that secondary key activates without me touching it. I realize this is slightly hard to understand but I'll do my best.

For example, the entire left side of the keyboard just stops responding and only keys that have secondary functions work. It doesn't really work in any pattern it just goes haywire randomly with the key's turning on or off and functionality going in and out. Usually by restarting it turns out fine for awhile and might appear again. It seems to happen th emost when I don't have the ac adapter plugged in or at leats from what i've noticed

I searched a few threads on the site already and found a similar one about the m45 which from what I understand is the US equivilent to the CAN m40. SOme users suggested updating the bios which I already had done. I uninstalled the antivirus program already fyi and I also uninstalled a bunch of toshiba utilities which I thought might help but to no avail.

I apologize if this is confusing but it's also just as difficult to try to explain the problem. Any help would be appreciated and if you need further clarification by all means I'll be more than happy to oblige.

I have also already emailed UBC's IT services and I am still awaiting an email from them. Toshiba doesn't seem to have an email type of tech support so I'm going to have to call them to see if they have any solutions. however, in the mean time, i figured I might as well post it here since there are knowledgable users on this site. Once again thank you in advance for any help/input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back