Toshiba Notebook and wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running Windows XP Home edition on my desktop. I have installed a D-Link 604+ DSL/router., connected by Ethernet to the desktop. All works fine and Internet access is good. When I try to connect my Tosh via wireless I have the following problem (which D-Link themselves cannot solve):

The IP address of the D-Link is 192.168.0.1

If I set the Tosh to automatically pick up an IP address it picks one up one starting 169, and no connection can be made.

I can force the Tosh to connect by giving an address of 192.168.0.3. This allows me to connect to the desktop, share files etc. BUT I cannot access the internet from the Tosh, but I can ping external sites successfully from the Tosh.

Something sems to be not translating web adresses into IP adresses. I have tried to tell the Tosh to use some DNS servers but still won't work. Have downloaded latest drivers for DLink and my Tosh wireless software is current.

There was something similar to this earlier this year, but I have tried everything suggested to no avail. Could I have a corrupt version of Interent Explorer?

I had the same problem with my desktop...it turned out my cable modem wasn't plugged into my router right...you might want to check that. Sometimes my modem spontaneusly turns itself off.

You also might want to try Net Stumbler...there might be more than one WLAN network in your area. If there is, double click on the WLAN icon on your taskbar (when the connection is closed) and it will come up with a mist of available networks, but since you can connect to your desktop, this doesn't appear to be the problem.

Thanks

The router works OK for the desktop so connection to phone line should be OK.

I can only see my network when I search for available networks so no confusion there I guess.

It seems to be something to do with the notebook not being able to translate web adresses into IP addresses, or the router not allowing to do so. Spent 45 minutes on the phone with DLink's techsupport last night to no avail!!

Make sure you enable NAT in your Router.
In it's WAN-part, you set up your IP-address and DNS-IP-addresses from your ISP.
In it's LAN-part set the router to fixed IP-addresses, ranging from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.5 if that can be entered, else leave as is. Set the subnet-mask to 255.255.255.0

Your PC's should be set to 192.168.0.2 (and .3 and .4 etc.) each with subnet-mask 255.255.255.0
The PC's default-gateway and the first DNS-server should both be set to 192.168.0.1 (which is your router). You can leave the second DNS blank.

What OS is on the Tosh? W98 or ME?

Try to set the Tosh DNS-configuration to:
Enable DNS
Host: the PC-name of the Tosh
DNS-server: add 192.168.0.1

Fixed it!!!

I connected my laptop to the Internet via my old USB DSL modem. The connection was fine, but Explorere couldn't find any pages.

Rolled back using system resore (XP) to January and tried again.

All now works, including DHCP. Not sure if was IE or what.

Thanks for help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back