TechSpot

Toshiba Satellite A210/A215

By nienA17
Jul 23, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My laptop screen went blank, what do I need to do?
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Blank? or Dark?
    The Toshiba A210 series seems to have a problem with the inverter burning out. The burner is a device about the size and shape of a felt tip pen that rests behind the LCD screen at the bottom of it.
    You buy the inverter on eBay... new... for $15 to $30 depending upon which lucky day you are in...
    Then you need a #1 and #2 phillips screw driver of very good quality so the metal is very hard. You also need a flat sharp pry to peel the rubberized screwcovers off the screws.

There is nothing difficult about this, if you keep the screw covers in good shape. But you have to remove and replace 18 screws.
    The inverter corrects the image from a negative to a positive, and emphasizes detail and color.
    It unplugs form the wiring harness at both ends with cute little sockets so there is nothing to solder or cut.
    The hardest part is getting the flat, rubberized screw covers back on with a decent rubber cement adhesive to it looks nice... and being sure you do not lose any screws.
    The screws are different sizes, so draw your self a little chart as you remove them, so you can get them back in the right holes.
    The entire job takes and hour to an hour and a half... depending on how anxious and careful you are. The second and third one, if you have to later do it for friends are about 25 to 35 minutes.
    Don't try to use a "similar" inverter. They are very persnickity about being the right part for the right screen... and there are four different screen types... regular, glossy, 15" and 17"... you measure from corner to corner.
    Good luck.
  3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Oh, and it could be a driver, or other failure, so look for other suggestions... and do a Gurgle search by the brand and model of your leaptop.
  4. nienA17

nienA17 TS Rookie Topic Starter

thank you raybay for your quick response.......for your information, this happens twice before and subsequently came back on when I click the on button again....any other suggestions?
  5. preacher2b

preacher2b TS Rookie

Update your BIOS

I own the Toshiba A215-S4767. I installed Vista Ultimate 64 and had to do some hard digging for drivers, etc, but for a few months before I installed 64-bit OS, I used Vista Ultimate 32 OEM.

Sorry I cannot submit a link yet, soon enough. The BIOS update fixed the problem for me, although it only happened once or twice before I updated BIOS.

From Toshiba:
    ToshibaDirect.com and search.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.