Toshiba Stellite 220CDS doesn't see a 40 GB HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Tosh 220CDS laptop with 133 MHz processor and 1.4 GB HDD. I obtained a 40 GB HDD and installed into the computer. Started computer with W98 startup floppy (takes a couple minutes to start- which is strange) and fdisk does not see the drive. Checked BIOS settings and drive is not there either. Is there any way to get this oldtimer to use the 40 GB drive? I heard about an overlay program that might allow the drive to be seen. Anyone know of a program like this? I did order a desktop IDE adapter to plug into my desktop. Can I partition the drive into smaller chunks to get access?

What is the drive manufacturer? Check there site and see if they have an overlay program.

Also, make sure your laptop systemboard BIOS is up-to-date.

The newest version that I see of BIOS was in 98, so it may not natively support 40GB.

From the ssd.toshiba.com site...

Q: My system is not able to recognize all available capacity on my Hard Disk Drive. What do I need to do to utilize the complete hard drive?
A: There are some systems that are unable to recognize the new larger Hard Drives on the market. 3rd party software is available that breaks the "capacity barrier". A suggestion is Disk Manager DiskGo by Ontrack. Check with your local computer/software supplier for availability or contact the software manufacturer.

http://www.ontrack.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back