Toshiba Tecra S1

By jamoosee
Oct 8, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Have read many posts and tried what was suggested. I pulled the 2 memory modules and cleaned the contacts with an eraser. I inserted only one of the modules at a time, switching slots etc. and then powered it up each time. Once with only 1 module installed, I got the WINDOWS XP startup screen (with the moving bar below) and then the Toshiba Splash screen appeared and then the screen went blank again. Seems like the hard drive starts up and then stops. The DVD drive seems to respond with a low clicking sound. I hear a couple chirps/clicks from the hardware but no beeps whatsoever.

I'm guessing bad RAM. I will try with some new RAM later when I get some.

Since I did get the machine to sort of startup once, am I safe to assume the BIOS and Motherboard are okay ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,451   +135

I would say failing hard drive
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

if you get a splash screen, your mobo should be ok.
    check ram with memtest 86+ booted from a cd or floppy for at least 7 passes.
    A clicking hd indicates a failing hard drive. Also is your CMOS battery ok?
  4. jamoosee

jamoosee Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

CMOS battery replacement

Is the CMOS battery readily accessible. I've taken apart many desktops but laptop teardowns are new to me.
  5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,451   +135

It depends on the make and model of the laptop
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.