Toshiba's Portege R835 ultraportable up for pre-order

Jos

Staff

Toshiba has begun accepting pre-orders for their newest ultra-portable Portege laptop. Starting at $899, the R835-ST3N01 packs a dual-core Core i3-2310M processor with built-in graphics, 4GB of RAM, a 13.3-inch display with 1366 x 768 resolution, 640GB 5,400 RPM hard drive, Bluetooth 3.0, DVD burner, a 66-Wh battery rated for up to nine hours of run time, and everything you'd expect port-wise, including eSATA connectivity, USB 3.0, as well as HDMI.

Spending an extra $30 upgrades you to a quicker Core i5-2410M CPU, and there are a couple of other closely spec'd options on Toshiba's website, but so far it seems only the $899 R835-ST3N01 model is up for pre-ordering. Whichever route you take gets you a good-looking and performing laptop with a weight of around 3.2lbs and a thickness of 0.72-1.05 inches, featuring a crafted magnesium casing and a honeycomb rib structure to deliver extra durability.

The Portege R705 was very well received last year for being one of the lightest laptops you could find with both a roomy 13-inch display and a built-in optical drive. Now, refreshed with the latest Intel Sandy Bridge processors and improved integrated graphics, the 13-inch R835 is looking to be another winner from Toshiba.

Permalink to story.

Raswan said:
Only $30 to upgrade to the i5? Is that redonkulously cheap, or am I on something?

That most likely means the i3 is redonkulously expensive, rather than the i5 being redonkulously cheap.

Are there any other comparable 13" sandy bridge laptops coming out soon? Seems like all of Lenovo's are 12.5" or 14". Plus I expect them to be more expensive?

@ Guest - Sony has the Vaio S starting at $1000. Then if you spend a little more there's the 12.5-inch ThinkPad X220 we recently reviewed from Lenovo starting at around $1300 and the Samsung 9 Series for $1650.

We'll have an update to our Laptop guide posted by the end of the week.

Back