By mokaboy
Oct 8, 2007
  1. Hi all,

My system setup is as followed.

Asus M2V mobo
    2x1gb OCZ gold PC5400
    AMD Athlon x2 3800+
    Geforce 7600gt 256mb

My memory allows timings of 4-4-4-12 so i overclocked them as soon as i could (2 days ago). Straight away after the timings change i recieved a message saying a file was corrupt when booting into windows. When i tried to reinstall windows i got the message toside.sys is corrupt.

Can anyone explain whats happened and tell me what steps to take next?

Am i entitled to a warranty replacement? a refund? or?

Thanks in advance
    mokaboy

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

toside.sys is the Toshiba PCI IDE Controller driver.

I suggest you reinstall your chipset drivers etc.

Regards Howard :)

3. mokaboy

mokaboy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 136

Thanks for your reply. I understand what your saying but found this on the net after a simple google search and it states the memory is the problem?

Smart_Computing

4. howard_hopkinso

In that case, I suggest you test your ram as per these instructions.

Please let me know the results.

5. mokaboy

mokaboy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 136

I will run a memtest later on tonight. I have Ubuntu running at the moment as i obviously cannot install windows which makes me think the memory is not bad after all? Anyway im sure ubuntu has a memtest option on start up so ill see what happens.

Id just like to know, if the memory is bad because i changed the timings to its stated 4-4-4-12 am i entitled to a refund? or a replacement? or neither?

6. howard_hopkinso

Some brands offer lifetime warranties. If that`s the case with your ram and it turns out to be faulty, then you should be able to rma it.

I suggest you try running your system with just one stick of ram. See if it then becomes stable.

I still think it`d be a good idea to reinstall your chipset drivers, just in case.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.