Touchpad doesn't work

I don't get why my touchpad doesn't work when I unplug or turn off my mouse. I found all the settings. I realize I may get an answer I don't want. Download drivers etc..

I can live with this problem (unless I suddenly don't have my other laptop), especially after spending the night searching for, downloading and installing drivers for my other laptop. I was surprised to find that the windows 7 professional (my home machine is windows 7 home) didn't provide me with network and other drivers. I wasn't seeing any wireless connections. Initially I was using an internet stick and the problem wasn't visible. I take that machine out with me. I had it home last night and that's when I found the problem. And trying to get that touchpad driver had me wondering about this one. I don't use my laptop keyboard on my home machine, preferring a natural contour full keyboard I plug in, so I never deal with the touchpad, otherwise I'd be hitting it all the time, which I used to do. I am a mouse guy. If I had to to take this machine out, the touchpad thing would drive me nuts. Any thoughts?

Hi Aarby,

Some computers have keyboard shortcuts which could be a separate key on the keypad or a combination of the Fn + any other Function key depending on the system model for enabling or disabling the touchpad. Since you have not mentioned the system model of your computer, some steps you may try are:

1.Go to Control Panel > Mouse > Device Settings>Click Enable (if disabled).

2.Check under Mouse Properties in Control Panel>Hardware>Mouse. There may be a check-box for Disable Touchpad/Pointing Stick when external USB mouse is present. If this is checked and you connect an external mouse to your laptop, the touchpad may be disabled.

Additionally, we recommend you check the system manual or try some of the steps mentioned in the link below.

Click on this Microsoft link to troubleshoot Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows: http://dell.to/1arqGvz

Hope this helps resolve the issue. Please reply if you have further queries.

[FONT=Museo For Dell]Thanks & regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=Museo For Dell]Babita G[/FONT]
[FONT=Museo For Dell]#iworkforDell[/FONT]

Back