TechSpot

Tough choice on a processor

By mica3speedy
Apr 26, 2007
  1. I'm in the process of planning out a new computer and can't decide on the following processors:

Intel Core 2 extreme QX6700:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115011

or the Intel Core 2 extreme X6800:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115001

I plan on keeping this computer for a few years, so I was thinking the quad for the long run but not entirely sure. The computer will be primarily used for daily multi-tasking, some video game play, and video editing, encoding. Also I may do some light over clocking. So which one do you guys recommend?

2. MoMo1988

MoMo1988 TS Rookie Posts: 93

Go quad it's cheapier and in a year or two there will be games that support Quad-core so go quad.

3. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 1,094

If you really want to spend that much money on just the CPU, then the quad core is the better choice.

4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

How heavy is the video editing you want to do? Also, most games out there are dependent on the GPU's capability. Very few actually utilize a single-core CPU enough, let alone a dual\quad-core one. A cheaper dual-core like the E6400\6600 might just be what you want. The only game I know that takes advantage of dual-core CPUs is Supreme Commander, so even if you get a dual-core PC, chances are it will still be future-proof for quite some years to come. That quad-core CPU is mainly built for gaming and ultra-heavy video editing/multi-tasking like burning a DVD, encoding a video and using Photoshop at the same time. So think about whether or not you'll actually need it.

5. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

SupCom can still lag with a QX6700 and 8800GTX... So if you want to play Supcom, get the quad core. Maybe get a QX6800 if you can stretch your budget a good bit.

6. mica3speedy

mica3speedy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 205

well the current encoding and editing I do now takes roughly 2-2.5 hrs for what is roughly a 60 minute clip. Now figure into that I convert avi film into dvd format and put onto dvd's, and each dvd holds around 2.5 hours of film. I do mostly video editing, which would the main purpose of the new computer.

7. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

Then I think you'd benefit from the extra processing power offered by the quad-core. Go for it, in that case.

8. RamenNoodles

RamenNoodles TS Rookie Posts: 108

It seems like you have the money to go quad, so do it. I would get it just to have a 1337 rig.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.