Tough choice on a processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mica3speedy

I'm in the process of planning out a new computer and can't decide on the following processors:

Intel Core 2 extreme QX6700:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115011

or the Intel Core 2 extreme X6800:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115001

I plan on keeping this computer for a few years, so I was thinking the quad for the long run but not entirely sure. The computer will be primarily used for daily multi-tasking, some video game play, and video editing, encoding. Also I may do some light over clocking. So which one do you guys recommend?

Go quad it's cheapier and in a year or two there will be games that support Quad-core so go quad.

How heavy is the video editing you want to do? Also, most games out there are dependent on the GPU's capability. Very few actually utilize a single-core CPU enough, let alone a dual\quad-core one. A cheaper dual-core like the E6400\6600 might just be what you want. The only game I know that takes advantage of dual-core CPUs is Supreme Commander, so even if you get a dual-core PC, chances are it will still be future-proof for quite some years to come. That quad-core CPU is mainly built for gaming and ultra-heavy video editing/multi-tasking like burning a DVD, encoding a video and using Photoshop at the same time. So think about whether or not you'll actually need it.

SupCom can still lag with a QX6700 and 8800GTX... So if you want to play Supcom, get the quad core. Maybe get a QX6800 if you can stretch your budget a good bit.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
How heavy is the video editing you want to do? Also, most games out there are dependent on the GPU's capability. Very few actually utilize a single-core CPU enough, let alone a dual\quad-core one. A cheaper dual-core like the E6400\6600 might just be what you want. The only game I know that takes advantage of dual-core CPUs is Supreme Commander, so even if you get a dual-core PC, chances are it will still be future-proof for quite some years to come. That quad-core CPU is mainly built for gaming and ultra-heavy video editing/multi-tasking like burning a DVD, encoding a video and using Photoshop at the same time. So think about whether or not you'll actually need it.

well the current encoding and editing I do now takes roughly 2-2.5 hrs for what is roughly a 60 minute clip. Now figure into that I convert avi film into dvd format and put onto dvd's, and each dvd holds around 2.5 hours of film. I do mostly video editing, which would the main purpose of the new computer.

Then I think you'd benefit from the extra processing power offered by the quad-core. Go for it, in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back