Tough Spyware Problem -> Documents & Settings Read-Only and Cannot Change Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

almcneil

TechSpotters,

I'm having a tough spyware problem with one of my customers. His kids were using Limewire and his comp got full of spyware. I ran Ad-Aware, Spybot and AVG AS to remove it all (or most of it) and then did an XP repair installation. Most of the spyware symptoms disappeared but one hasn't. The Documents and Settings folder is read-only. We tried resetting the permissions on the whole folder and the process completed but the permissions remain read-only. We can't open the Programs list or install programs as a result. I did another XP repair installation and it didn't change anything.

Any suggestions?

Try superantispyware.com. Its free and I believe it works better than ad-aware, spybot, and AVG. Run a FULL scan. Remove everything it finds.

gavinseabrook said:
Try superantispyware.com. Its free and I believe it works better than ad-aware, spybot, and AVG. Run a FULL scan. Remove everything it finds.

Gavin,

I'm checking out Superantispyware right now. It has a very nice UI!! I also read the web site and it was very well written. Made a favourable impression on me. They look reputable! I'm curious though, how did you hear about it? I've never heard of them.

I actually found it out of the blue one day. It was able to remove everything that I couldnt find ANY way to. Like that damn popup at the bottom saying "Your system is infected, click here". I use it everywhere.

Gavin,

Until I get a chance to really see for myself, I'm sticking with my tried and true 3 anti-spy I use: Ad-Aware, Spybot and AVG AS. I used to use Microsoft AS as my 3rd but once it was relaunched as Windows Defender, I noticed that it hardly found anything. I then had a customer that was using AVG AS and noticed that he had very little spyware. So I dropped WD and used AVG AS ever since with a lot of success!!

Next time I go that customer's place, I'll try SuperAS and HijackThis. Let's see if they can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back