TOWER lights up but monitor no signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin13

somethin is not right here....my tower is turned on but there is no signal goin to the monitor....and the lights on the tower lights is now red....one of my dvd drivers open half way and the other just wont open...it has to be the damn voltage settings on my power supply

the story is there was a shutdown in my area for almost 12 hours becuz the city needed to rewire and fix some **** on the ground.

and when the power was up again...this happened.

i thought at first it was a bios issue so i took out that little round thing out of the motherboard and put it back but no luck......

my powersuppy is a 500w antec.....and i have a gigabyte motherboard.

the bad thing about my powersupply is theres no voltage switcher....so i dont know how to adjust it...... ANY HELP well be appreciated

You have a few misperceptions on how things work... such as voltage switcher on the power supply. You don't want to mess with the power supply.
Your problem could be power supply, hard drive, video graphics, or memory failure... or some other problem.
You can help us help you by posting your computuer brand and model as well as operating system, age of the unit, memory installed, and type of video graphics.
Further, we would like to know what antivirus software, Antispyware, and rootkit snoopers you have installed.
What was going on with your computer when the power failure hit? As that seems critical.
What was that little round thing? A CMOS battery with the number 2032?

Must be CMOS, that's the recommendation newbies always get- "Remove the CMOS, remove the CMOS, remove the CMOS, remove...". But you have to remember, Original Poster, that there might also be jumper pins associated with your CMOS that need to be moved.

the motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro, windows xp, and a pny geforce 7600gs series......i dont really kno much about the comp cuz its my brothers..he was too lazy to go get a new power supply(cuz thats what we thought the problem was at first)..and hes out of town rite now...

we have no clue what could have happen....he told me it was working fine before he shut it off...after the power shutdown, this problem happened.

ive been reading other threads and they had similar problems to me....and it seems that the psu was burnt....but then again i want to know if its somethin else, dont wanna spend 150 bucks for a new psu.

thebaronjocelin said:
Must be CMOS, that's the recommendation newbies always get- "Remove the CMOS, remove the CMOS, remove the CMOS, remove...". But you have to remember, Original Poster, that there might also be jumper pins associated with your CMOS that need to be moved.

the term u are looking for is a BIOS battery.

sin31
wait till u're brother gets back and then tell what is happening.

the Idea that the PSU went out from the power outage is almost impossible although u notocied I said idea as nothing is impossible with a computer.

The universal term is actually CMOS battery. It does power and maintain the BIOS.

I think you will find the problem is a simple one... without too much work necessary to getting it up and running.

my pc was once like yours.
not because of a power supply problem.
i was just sitting on my pc playing on a ms built in game them my pc crashed, i then rebooted my system it loaded then crashed again.
so i rebooted again this time it wouldn't load at all monitor wise and looked like i lost my dvd drive etc not loading seemed like most of the pc malfunctioned.

i then took the side panel of my tower looked inside not knowing a thing looked at all the connections/wires to me seemed fine none out of place. left it for a day till i could get my friend to look at it. which then i ended up coming back from work tried to switch it on and it worked.

read some forums of laptops doing the same they seemed to come to the conclusion that its overheating or even power supply has blown inside.

as you can guess mine was overheating

incase this is of any information to anyone

naw u see my brother already knows about it....he left the day right after this problem happened....(i was planing to play his comp while he was gone) aint that a *****? but anyways....so theres nothin that u guys can think of?....i mean i know its a small problem but.....what can i do to check if its somethin else? cuz im probably going to go buy a new PSU by tommorow or somethin.....

ive already let it rest for a day or two now.....(And yea my brother plays the computer 24/7....he plays untill 7 in the mornin and then goes to sleep...wake back up at 12 or so and play again untill the next morning or the next day). But i dont think that would cause a power supply to blown up would it? I usually thought that if u leave it on for about a week or somethin that it would happen....

About the Whole shutdown in my area...i dont know if it cause anything to my computer because it was turned OFF when it happened....so most likely nothin would have caused it....just a coincidence, in my mind

ok ive found out that its not the power supply......so....i have no other clue.....any suggestions be great

sin13 said:
ok ive found out that its not the power supply......so....i have no other clue.....any suggestions be great

have you checked the graphics cards main connection? taked it out then put it in again or made sure its not been damaged leads etc

well the thing is i dont think its the graphics card since my dvd drives dont even open at all....but ill give it a try...thanks for the tip.....

Hi there!
I have an eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB Video Card, a Mobo P5W DH deluxe and a Viewsonic monitor VX922 wich doesn't work.(no signal). I haven't tried another cable though or another video card.
I don't know if it is because I had to switch to Analog, because the DVI (either the cable or the DVI outlet) doesn't work (no signal).
Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance
Respectfully
sir_tiger

Tedster said:
Do Not Hijack Threads. Start Your Own.

Maybe you're right but I thought that is better to continue here, because i had the same problem, anyway I'm going to open a new thread now!

Dead CPU & MOBO

I had this happen to me when i was building my last PC. I got every thing put together and it would turn on but there was no video. I thought it was the power supply so i went through 3 of them till i figured out that i didint screw my CPU fan on tight enough and it ended up frying the CPU and MOBO. Luckily i saved my reciepts. make sure EVERYTHING is tight before you turn the power on for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back