Tower problem (Turning on)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Emachines W2686. For a while it would work fine, smoothly, and efficiently. But just recently it decided to REALLY act up. When I turn the tower on, it sounds as if everything runs smoothly. Hard Drive, Fans, Power unit. But it doesnt seem to be reading at all. Ive checked and changed the memory, checked the hard drive, unpowered it for a day, and yet nothing. It still turns on, but just doesnt read it. Ive even switched out monitors, checked monitor connections, and changed the cords. There are lights, for example, the smart card light is on, the CD light flickers, (no cd), and below the power button, a orange light flickers once in a while. The main power button, that usually turns green, stays off.

I know my first mistake was getting an emachines, but is there any possible way to fix this? Might it be the Motherboard?

Hi Vermiere and welcome to the TS Forum :wave:

Vermiere said:
There are lights, for example, the smart card light is on, the CD light flickers, (no cd), and below the power button, a orange light flickers once in a while. The main power button, that usually turns green, stays off.

Sounds very much like your Board, the other lights show that the board is receiving power Ok.

Unless you have access to a similar machine then your only choice is to take it to a PC Repair shop for them to diagnose further.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, if you do decide to scrap it then DONT ever buy an Emachine again, all that I have read about them is bad.

Regards

Vermiere said:
I have an Emachines W2686. For a while it would work fine, smoothly, and efficiently. But just recently it decided to REALLY act up. When I turn the tower on, it sounds as if everything runs smoothly. Hard Drive, Fans, Power unit. But it doesnt seem to be reading at all. Ive checked and changed the memory, checked the hard drive, unpowered it for a day, and yet nothing. It still turns on, but just doesnt read it. Ive even switched out monitors, checked monitor connections, and changed the cords. There are lights, for example, the smart card light is on, the CD light flickers, (no cd), and below the power button, a orange light flickers once in a while. The main power button, that usually turns green, stays off.

I know my first mistake was getting an emachines, but is there any possible way to fix this? Might it be the Motherboard?
1. MAKE SURE THE CPU Fan is running. watch it when you apply power. it must start and continue to run..if not it AUTO Kills the rest of the system.
2. the orange lite should be the HDD moving (flicker lite)
3. EMachines have a noted reputation on CRAPPY SMALL PSU. test it with a replacement one. to verify that all devices are getting the required.
90% of the time EMachines we repair are due to PSU failure..
4. replace the onboard Video with a test card... any old cheap card will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back