Transfer dats over com port to laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveskater

Hi, before i went out and bought cables and whatnot, i wanted to make sure that it was possible to transfer data between pc's over the com port (rs232).

I want to transfer files from my desktop pc to my laptop but the laptop doesn't have usb or ethernet ;)

If someone can just confirm this for me then i would be grateful :) also if there's someone out therewith experience in data transfer between pc's via the com port then i'd like to hear from you :)

Hi

In the old days you could use a program called laplink pro it used a Null modem cable to connect via serial or parallel port, however it seems that it has now moved up in the world and may not work with these cables anymore, I did a google and found one called "INTELLIMOVE" that can use parallel ports however its costly, but im sure there are others

In windows 98 you could use the direct cable connection feature, again you joined the PC's together using a Null Modem cable and it acted just like a network link., this is also available in XP under Start > Programs >Accesories > Communications >new connection wizard, you can choose a few different methods here including Infra-red.

If the laptop hard drive is removable then buy a 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor and just plug it into the IDE channel on the Desktop, quick simple cheaper and faster than using parallel ports.

Regards

oh yeah i forgot about the 2.5 - 3.5 adapters :D haha thanks

the drive looks like a 2.5 ide one but i haven't unscrewed it to look at the connection

thing is the ports on the back of the laptop are serial, external monitor and some weird one that could be an old parallel port (i have another post up about it ;))

i just realised as well that i spelled data wrong in the thread title :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back