Transfer modes for Raid 0 such as UDMA,PIO,MDMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

puppetgrimm1

please explain Transfer modes for Raid 0 such as UDMA,PIO,MDMA

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could explain the transfer modes "UMDA 0-5" "pio 1-4" and "MDMA 0-2" for a raid 0 set. what are the diferences between the three types? Which is better or faster, what matainence should I perform to maintain performance?

P.S. I'm using a cheap Silicon Image 0680 medley pci raid card with two 80GB harddrives, and XP Pro.

Late
Puppetgrimm1

Google is your friend..

You should use the highest UDMA mode possible, MDMA is the next slowest and PIO is the worst. The maintenance is the same as with normal hard drives - get your partitions right and defragment.

puppetgrimm1 said:
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could explain the transfer modes "UMDA 0-5" "pio 1-4" and "MDMA 0-2" for a raid 0 set. what are the diferences between the three types? Which is better or faster, what matainence should I perform to maintain performance?

P.S. I'm using a cheap Silicon Image 0680 medley pci raid card with two 80GB harddrives, and XP Pro.

Late
Puppetgrimm1

UDMA (Ultra Direct Memory Access), MW-DMA (Multi-word DMA) and PIO (Programmed input/output) all refer to bus mastering / direct memory access modes. Different modes offer different performance. Older modes will have higher CPU overhead and less bandwidth typically. If you are using SATA drives, you can ignore this information.

UDMA 6 (if possible), will be your best choice if you are using IDE/PATA drives. I'll rank these in the order of best performance... High to low.

SATA 2 - 300MB/sec
SATA 1 - 150MB/sec
UDMA-6 - 133MB/sec
UDMA-5 - 100MB/sec
UDMA-4 - 66MB/sec
UDMA-3 - 44MB/sec
UDMA-2 - 33MB/sec
UDMA-1 - 25MB/sec
UDMA-0 - 16MB/sec
MW-DMA 2 - 16MB/sec
MW-DMA 1 - 13MB/sec
PIO 2 - 8MB/sec
MW-DMA 0 - 4MB/sec
PIO 1 - 4MB/sec
PIO 0 - 2MB/sec

Only use UDMA (Also referred to as ATA-133 or ATA-100 etc..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back