Transfer modes for Raid 0 such as UDMA,PIO,MDMA

By puppetgrimm1
Nov 6, 2005
  1. please explain Transfer modes for Raid 0 such as UDMA,PIO,MDMA

I was wondering if anyone could explain the transfer modes "UMDA 0-5" "pio 1-4" and "MDMA 0-2" for a raid 0 set. what are the diferences between the three types? Which is better or faster, what matainence should I perform to maintain performance?

P.S. I'm using a cheap Silicon Image 0680 medley pci raid card with two 80GB harddrives, and XP Pro.

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Google is your friend..

You should use the highest UDMA mode possible, MDMA is the next slowest and PIO is the worst. The maintenance is the same as with normal hard drives - get your partitions right and defragment.
  3. puppetgrimm1

puppetgrimm1 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 50

Thankyou for the input. I'll do as you suggested.

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

UDMA (Ultra Direct Memory Access), MW-DMA (Multi-word DMA) and PIO (Programmed input/output) all refer to bus mastering / direct memory access modes. Different modes offer different performance. Older modes will have higher CPU overhead and less bandwidth typically. If you are using SATA drives, you can ignore this information.

UDMA 6 (if possible), will be your best choice if you are using IDE/PATA drives. I'll rank these in the order of best performance... High to low.

SATA 2 - 300MB/sec
    SATA 1 - 150MB/sec
    UDMA-6 - 133MB/sec
    UDMA-5 - 100MB/sec
    UDMA-4 - 66MB/sec
    UDMA-3 - 44MB/sec
    UDMA-2 - 33MB/sec
    UDMA-1 - 25MB/sec
    UDMA-0 - 16MB/sec
    MW-DMA 2 - 16MB/sec
    MW-DMA 1 - 13MB/sec
    PIO 2 - 8MB/sec
    MW-DMA 0 - 4MB/sec
    PIO 1 - 4MB/sec
    PIO 0 - 2MB/sec

Only use UDMA (Also referred to as ATA-133 or ATA-100 etc..)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.