Transfering from Win98 to XP. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot or not, but I'm hoping so. If not, I apologize. Here's my issue: A long time ago, in a galaxy near near to here, I bought a computer to replace my old slow ragged one. In the process, I apparently missed some files from there that I need to recover. My problem is that when I try turning on that computer now, it just sits at the "DELL" screen, and never goes further. I decided to open my computer up (the old one), which is something I've never done before. I looked around inside, choked for a while off the dust that was in it, and came back to clarrity. Anyhoo, I need to figure out how to take the hard drive from my old computer and install it into my new(er) computer. I tried what I thought would work, but the plug didn't fit into any open slots. Bummer. My newer computer says I have a removable G, H, and J drive, but I don't even see a place where it could go. I'm sorry I'm not more of a help, but i don't even know what I'm looking at in here, and I really need these files. Is there even a chance?

Alec Sprinkle

We need to know a lot more details, please. Basically, we need to know the brand, model, memory, optical drive types of the new computer so we can determine the type of hard drives. We also need the same info on your old computer. We would like to know what you mean by plug in your statement,

"I tried what I thought would work, but the plug didn't fit into any open slots. Bummer. My newer computer says I have a removable G, H, and J drive..."

It is possible to do what you wish, but we need to know if you have the experience to do it... and we need to know what kinds of files you still need to recover.

I am guessing you have a new computer that has SATA drives, while your old hard drive is an ATA. Give us the brand and model of the old drive. If you have a cable with two EIDE cables, and only one CD-ROM or DVD-RW drive, we can help you install the old drive on the extra plug of the EIDE cable.

It all depends....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back