Transferring a Windows XP HDD into new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

fad3toblack

I have finally built a new computer, after dealing with an emachine for about three years. Unfortunately, I must report that I am currently typing this from that very eMachine. The computer which I built did not at first boot windows, but I believe that that was because it had the eMachine's OEMed Windows on it... I reinstalled the real retail windows onto it, and tried it again. However, I got an error reading:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0XF7C46640, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000

Click here to see a picture of this error on my screen:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/superpastry/PA011022.jpg

I have been doing searches regarding this, and turned up this advice:

"<u>How to move a Windows 2000 hard drive</u>
You can't just remove the ENUM key with Windows 2000. More often than not, if you try to move a hard drive to a different system you will get an "innaccessible boot device" bluescreen. Here is a way to take care of that.

All the following steps should be taken before rebooting - if it wants to reboot, tell it "later".
Uninstall all software in add/remove programs directly related to any hardware components that will not be in the new system. Uninstall your antivirus software. Uninstall any service packs and hotfixes newer than what came on your 2K CD. Revert back to the version of IE that came with your 2K CD (most likely 5.01). Uninstall all devices in device manager that will not be in the new system - if you miss some, no big deal. Change your IDE controller to a "standard dual IDE controller". Note your network/dialup networking settings. Remove any shortcuts on the desktop and startup group that point to any network drives. Shut the machine down. Move the hard drive to the new system or do your hardware upgrade, it's advisable to have a minimum configuration (essentially just a video card, the hard drive, and one CD drive). Boot the new machine into the BIOS setup and disable all onboard components except video if applicable, the important one to disable is USB - and set it to boot from CD first. Boot the new machine to the 2K CD and when asked tell it to do a setup (NOT just a repair). When the setup finds the existing 2K installation, you will be asked whether to repair that installation or install a fresh copy - choose the repair this time. When this is all done, install the new chipset drivers and video driver (if applicable). Then you can systematically enable the disabled components and reinstall the other cards and drives and everything else you removed/uninstalled. If you had previously changed your drive lettering in disk management, you will have to redo it.

I moved a hard drive from a K6 system with a Via chipset into an Intel 845E system the other day this way - you don't get much different than that. The only problem device I came up with was the NT Legacy APM - and I had to show hidden devices in device manager to see it - just uninstall it if it's red flagged."

However, I have put my friend's HDD into the computer and it booted perfectly... Might it be that some of his drivers were close to those of my components (I know that his motherboard is the same as mine), and the eMachine doesn't?

Please help, I can't bear to use this computer for another day!
Thanks in advance

Also, it says in that blue text that I should uninstall the devices that aren't in my new computer in the Device Wizard, but... if I disable the processor, the comp will stop working, and if i disable the graphics controller (yea, its integrated...) then I won't be able to see anything... so what should I disable!?

Go here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082 and follow the procedures exactly. I also recommend that once you move the drive to your new computer boot it up in safe mode first(press F8 repeatedly after BIOS disappears) and install the chipset and video drivers, then restart and it should work. If that doesnt work let us know, I know of one more way to do this.

Supra said:
Go here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082 and follow the procedures exactly. I also recommend that once you move the drive to your new computer boot it up in safe mode first(press F8 repeatedly after BIOS disappears) and install the chipset and video drivers, then restart and it should work. If that doesnt work let us know, I know of one more way to do this.

hehe I actually fixed the problem a few days ago by simply running a Repair. I didn't say anything here because no one had really posted about it... But thanks for your help anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back