Transferring all data from an old drive to a new drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spleenharvester

Hi,
how do I copy all files from my old drive to my new one? Is it just Copy+Paste or do I need a special tool? One drive is Sata300 (new drive)and one is Sata150 (old drive).
Thanks

Best and most common tool to find is Norton Ghost. If this is a boot drive you cannot copy all the files across as some of them have to be positioned in a specific location on the drive - Ghost deals with all this.

question your intent;

if you intend clone the system to another and then boot the target system, you will have registration/licensing problems.

if you really only need to replicate your data files (ie not programs), the
just get file sharing working and COPY one folder at a time.

There is quite a useful little tool called ycopy which actually helps you copy files and folders, lists the ones failed to copy instead of explorer which just stops. Find it at ruahine.com

in this case, cloning will not work, as you will need the drivers for SATA on the new drive. So you will need to back them up either using windows back up or a similar program like ghost.

Guess what? I have just booted a Ghost floppy and cloned a PATA drive to a SATA drive without any preinstalled drivers or what have you.

seagate is very good for this called diskwizard
as long as the OS xp pro service pk2 has the controllers drivers loaded no errors on boot to find sata drives
you may find an instance of copy ide to sata that it will not boot as theres no sata controller chipset drivers loaded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back