TechSpot

Transferring from external drive

By blump
Sep 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I was just given a Dell Inspiron N7110 laptop from a friend and am trying to move some files from my Seagate FreeAgent external hard drive to this laptop. I get a pop-up saying "you don't currently have permission to access this folder". I have tried to open sharing but it won't let me; any suggestions?
  2. alexe3831

alexe3831 TS Enthusiast Posts: 122

Are you currently logged in as an Administrator on the laptop? Some older laptops require admin permissions to move files from an external drive.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,406   +314

Hopefully, this is a one-time need as this procedure will reset the NTFS permissions for all users on that HD. It is recoverable, but just more work. Following this is known as Taking Ownership:
    • Boot into Safe Mode
    • Login as Admin
    • mount the external drive (if needed).
    • find the drive letter for that device
    • right click->properties
    • [a] find the Security Tab (notice the list in the upper portion; mine shows, system,authenticated users, administrators(the group name, not the login id) and the group Users.
    • Choice [ you can click Edit to add everyone which is just as effective] Now click Add
    • enter Everyone and click Check Names, click ok
    • in the list you now see Everyone has been added - - select it
    • in the lower portion you see the perms; check the boxes Read&exec, List, Read
    • click Ok
    The above will allow any user to access the profile of every other user (ie you loose privacy).

continuing below is the Take Ownership route:
    • at the bottom right, click Advanced
    • here you see the perms for each of the above
    • click on the Owner tab
    • clicking Edit and you can enter any existing user logon known to the system you are using (ie not the original the drive was installed).
    • a good choice is Administrators (that group name)
    • you also need to [x] Replace to propagate this setting
    • for heavens sake, don't exit yet - - backup to [a] and at least add the id System->full control
    IF the original system is to be preserved and run with it's original users, you may need to do this again on that system.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.