Transferring my video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muppy

Hi, I'm new here, and working on a new computer.

I had my dad's old Dell that was running Windows98, but my grandparents gave me their newer Dell with WindowsXP, so I'm still trying to figure out my way around it. I don't even know how to find my computer's speculations on here.

Anyway, I played The Sims 2 on my old computer with an NVIDIA GeForce2 32MB video card that worked fine. When I switched over to this new computer I installed my game and all of its expansion packs but it won't work. I installed DirectX 9.0 and its drivers since I was getting that message that says, "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0 compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0 compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate." I read a whole bunch of posts to a thread about this message and tried various suggestions, none of which worked.

I happened to find my video card specs. at some point (can't find them again) on this computer, and I'm pretty sure they weren't good enough to run The Sims 2. My brother tried transfering my NVIDIA card to this (newer) computer but said that it didn't fit. Is this true, or did he do something wrong? Do I need to get an NVIDIA card that will fit this computer?

I appreciate any help, thanks!

You have come across probley one of the most annoying problem ever. I had this problem with one of my computers. I had to reformat it to get it to work again, however the same problem came again about 3 months later. In the end I just thought I cant be bothered and I just bought a new motherboard and reformated the computer which fixed the problem completely.

Ugh, great. I definitely don't have the money to do that. So you think there's no way to just buy another video card instead?

Thanks for replying, by the way : )

Download DX10 update rofl. Or get a 6200 GeForce 128mb for 40$ and own your old system. Because it owns onboard graphics. Im assuming you only have PCI slots correct?

F1N3ST said:
Download DX10 update rofl. Or get a 6200 GeForce 128mb for 40$ and own your old system. Because it owns onboard graphics. Im assuming you only have PCI slots correct?

$40 is a little out of my price range right now which, I know sounds lame, but I don't have a job. I also don't know much about computers, not even what PCI means, or their slots. I doubt downloading DX10 would help me in this case, since the video card that I'm working with now is just an Intel 82810 (I didn't even know DX10 was out, or else I would've tried that in the first place, eh heh). :(

Damn, it sounds like your card is not really compatible with xp. It happens. My old turtle beach montego|| woorks for a while in xp but loses sound about 5 minuties in gaming. Sims 2 is a little steep for that card when win xp is involved.
And you are out of luck. I recently gave away my 5200 in another tech forum for anyone who had really old cards. I got inspired by a guy in guru3d who gave his 6600 gt to someone ( he held a forum post off), and was even kind enough to pay for shipping.

For this senario, try using an older driver. The latest drivers for xp on nvidia site don't support geforce 2s so you'll need 7 or early 8 series drivers.
And for god's sake, dx 10 is NOT out. It won't be out for win xp since driver architechture changes dramatically for vista. There are no dx10 cards out. Maybe later this month or next month we will see the first generation.

Actually coming to think of i think i have an extra asus 5200 lying around somewhere here. Will need to look for it though.

cyrax said:
For this senario, try using an older driver. The latest drivers for xp on nvidia site don't support geforce 2s so you'll need 7 or early 8 series drivers.
And for god's sake, dx 10 is NOT out. It won't be out for win xp since driver architechture changes dramatically for vista. There are no dx10 cards out. Maybe later this month or next month we will see the first generation.
Alright, phew, I didn't think DX10 was out.

I hope you understand that my GeForce2 isn't in the computer that I'm using right now, I have an Intel 82810 in this instead. Do you still think I should try to use an older driver or...anything?

it never hurst to try. Once you know how to disable the onboard (uninstalling the driver first). you install the card and then wait for windows to detect the card.

run a few bechmarks against the intel and compare the perfiormance. This is the best wasy to decide. The advantage with the gf2 is that it has its own memory and does not leach on onboard ram.

Okay, I guess it couldn't hurt since I haven't been able to play TS2 on this computer yet at all, yeah.

Alright so I'm really awful with computer stuff..would it be possible to tell me, step-by-step, how to do all of this driver and detecting stuff? Or even direct me to someplace that can do that instead of you?

Sorry that I'm asking a lot of questions and am so computer illiterate. Thanks for replying to me, though!

Hi Muppy,
It appears you may be able to play Sims2 on your system if you read the FAQ on your videocard:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-016327.htm

Of course, it will be in 16-bit color and windowed, but you still may be able to play!

If you can just simply provide what exact Dell you have, or download and run Everest (google), this can give us the information you need for suggestions on if/how you can re-use your old videocard or if there is a cheap alternative for you.

Sharkfood said:
Hi Muppy,
It appears you may be able to play Sims2 on your system if you read the FAQ on your videocard:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-016327.htm

Of course, it will be in 16-bit color and windowed, but you still may be able to play!

If you can just simply provide what exact Dell you have, or download and run Everest (google), this can give us the information you need for suggestions on if/how you can re-use your old videocard or if there is a cheap alternative for you.
Hi Sharkfood,

I've actually already tried what it says to do in that link. I adjusted the color and the Target, tried it, nothing, restarted my computer, checked the settings, tried it again, and got nothing but that darn message. *Shrug* I don't know, but thank you.

Downloading Everest like you said was apparantly too much for my computer, or maybe just my internet, so I think I'll try downloading SIW (yes?) right now instead, and then getting back to you.

Sharkfood said:
The SIW download was a lot faster than I expected, so it's up and running, but there's so much information and I'm not sure what you'd like to know exactly.

It's a Dell...oh and something on here says that it's a DIM2100. You wanted to know that, right?
Just tell me what to give you for information and I'll do it. Thank you so much for helping : )

cyrax said:
Will post in a while.
Hey that's fine by me. I'm sleepy now that it's almost 1 AM so I'll probably go to bed soon, just so you know. Thanks again for helping me out : )

got this from another site....but i'll need to modify it

To disable the onboard video, it must be done in device manager in windows. It is disabled in system devices not in display adapters. Both of these two categories are listed in the device manager screen. You must click on the category system devices to open it up, once done it shows a lot of different items. The one you would be looking for to disable the onboard video is 82810 system and graphics controller. Highlight it so it is blue, click properties. Another screen will open up revealing two possible selections. Uncheck exists in all hardware profiles, check disable in this hardware profile, click ok, exit, restart machine and go into bios, you will have a key combo to do this (ref your mobo manual) navigate advanced periferals to find onboard devices. Disable onboard video, save and shut down. unplug, install video card connect your monitor to it, reboot, let windows install generic drivers to get your new card going. What trips a lot of people up in this procedure is that there are two categories in device manager that look all most identical. The first one is under display adapters, Intel(R) 82810 graphics controller, you don't use this category selection. You must scroll down in device manager until you are near the bottom and then click on system devices. You will then find a listing that includes Intel 82810 system and graphics controller. Click properties, check, and uncheck boxes. The first selection I mentioned, Intel(R) 82810 graphics controller only has
one check box, and is listed in under display adapters and can't disable the onboard graphics.----PC

or in simple terms:

My computer>
control panel>
device manager>
system devices>
highlight intel 82810 system and graphics controller>
properties>
uncheck exists in all hardware profiles>
check disable>
click ok>
exit and shut down,
restart ..go in bios to disable onboard video>
unplug. Install video card, reboot. Windows
will install it's generic drivers. Later use your disc to install
specific drivers for card.

If this is indeed a Dell Dimension 2100, then all of the above steps are not going to work as the 2100 does *not* have an AGP slot for your Geforce2 card.

Dell Dimension's only have PCI slots, so you'll actually have to buy a new, PCI videocard if you want to upgrade it's 3d capabilities.

If you're still interested in trying to get Sims 2 to play on the 82810 chipset (it WILL Play the Sims2 windowed), you'll have to ensure you have the latest Intel drivers and DirectX updated after.

You can download the correct Intel 82810 drivers at:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...XP+Home+Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go!

Then download and run the web-install of DirectX at:
http://www.microsoft.com/directx

And click the "Get the latest DirectX Now" link, download and run this after you've installed the above Intel integrated video drivers.

cyrax said:
or in simple terms:

My computer>
control panel>
device manager>
system devices>
highlight intel 82810 system and graphics controller>
properties>
uncheck exists in all hardware profiles>
check disable>
click ok>
exit and shut down,
restart ..go in bios to disable onboard video>
unplug. Install video card, reboot. Windows
will install it's generic drivers. Later use your disc to install
specific drivers for card.
So you're saying that I should just..uninstall and reinstall my Intel 82810? And if so, do I have to uninstall my Sims games and then reinstall them after I've reinstalled the video card? I hope not knowing what onboard video is doesn't matter as long as I go along with whatever you guys tell me to do.

First, you need to make sure there infact is an agp slot. Its either white or brown. No, you don't need to uninstall the game.

onboard video is a 3d accelerator chip on your mobo which uses onboard memory (ram) as video memory.

Okay, I didn't want to open up my computer again without my brother here because I have trouble getting the case back on :eek:, but looked in the SIW thing and it says:

OnBoard Devices
Video (Enabled): Intel GMCH AGP Graphics controller.

Helpful at all?

The Intel Integrated uses an AGP bus on the motherboard, but this does not necessarily mean your motherboard has an AGP slot for expansion.

If it's a Dell Dimension 2100, it does not have an AGP slot.

Sharkfood said:
If you're still interested in trying to get Sims 2 to play on the 82810 chipset (it WILL Play the Sims2 windowed), you'll have to ensure you have the latest Intel drivers and DirectX updated after.QUOTE]
I had already done that, or so I thought, but I tried updating the drivers for the card a different way last night and I think this time it worked, or at least worked better. However, I still can't get my game to run.

Do you think that I need to find a specific card that will fit into my tower?

If it does not have an AGP slot (which all Dell documentation on that series suggests), you'll be limited to a PCI card... and hopefully have enough power supply overage to drive a new PCI 3d card.

While this greatly limits your upgrade choices, you have a couple cards that will play Sims2 fine:
The Geforce 6200 PCI or a new VisionTek X1300 PCI (which may be harder to find as they are BRAND new.. NewEgg here carries them though).

A Radeon 9250 or FX5500 series PCI are also available choices and will play Sims2, but they have substantially less power than the 6200 and X1300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back