TravelMate 6493 will not shutdown

I replaced a crashed hard drive and installed Windows 7 Pro. Laptop works fine until I shut it down. If I use Windows-Shutdown button it will shutdown but 3-4 seconds later it will restart. If I press and hold the Power button it will shutdown but continue to attempt to restart until I remove the power cord then it will remain off. When I plug the power cord back in it again attempts to restart continuously until I pull the power cord and the battery, it will then shutdown. When I replace the battery and power cord I can then start it up normally but again a normal shutdown and it will restart. In Power Option under the Balanced Plan the Power button action is Shutdown for both On battery and Plugged in. I did find out with Powercfg that it is set to wakeup on device name HDA CX11270 Soft Modem but could disable using the device name HDA CX11270 Soft Modem.

Will the laptop shut down normally with the battery removed and running only on the AC adapter?

I have since unplugged the laptop and put it on the shelf. I will charged it over the weekend and reply to your query. Thank you for the reply.

REB

I tried to shutdown normally with the battery removed, the laptop shutdown and then restarted again. Any idea as to what is going on?

Back