TechSpot

Trend Micro finds nearly 900,000 fake Android apps

By Scorpus
Jul 17, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. A recent study by Japanese security software company Trend Micro has uncovered nearly 900,000 fake Android apps floating around in the wild, designed to fool users into downloading them before stealing user data and aggressively serving ads.

Read more

2. Aaaaaaand yet another reason why Apple is so superior.

3. And,, another reason why Apple is making lots of money by selling overpriced phones.

4. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Guru Posts: 562   +173

over priced is perceptual. I have many cells, a s3, s4 and iphone4. The better value for the money for me is the iphone 4. Its is better in specs? no, but for me, using android OS is a negative value thing. Do I wish that IOS was in the body of a S3 or S4? absolutely. I have used both ecosystems for years, and my opinion FOR me will not change.

5. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

Oh am I the only one who finds it a little odd that a small company Trend Micro finds the resources to have people finding 900k apps... sounds a little BS to me...

6. If you are dumb enough to download the wrong app then you deserve to get malware. It is like windows, just be smart at what you download and click, and you will be fine

7. AnonymousSurfer

AnonymousSurfer TS Guru Posts: 451   +37

I've always been an android user, and I've always had some sort of anti-virus running (currently Kaspersky). I have NEVER run across an app that was malware in the google play store. Sure there are fake apps that have just ads, but they always have comments about how shitty they are and tell people not to download it. The 900k android apps that were fake and malicious were found in other app stores and online forums, no **** it's malicious. It's the same way for iphone users who don't download off the itunes store. This is just a way to try to convince people that iOS is superior

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,555   +2,898

They are an Anti-virus maker, it wouldn't surprise me if they had details to prove it.

9. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

Last I looked they only made $10mill profit..

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,555   +2,898

And if the AV software does all the work, a single person can look through the results. They don't need personnel to look for results, if they have consumers doing it for them. With that said I don't know how they are setup. I just know it is possible to gather data without a large work force, if you have a large consumer base.