TrendMicro PC-Cillin Firewall: "out of order?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

e-Willem

I use Trendmicro Internet Security for my virusscanning and firewall.
The program is absolutely fabulous. I'm very happy with it, it does wat it's suposed to do.

But for a few days the firewall is constantly updating, and if I view the log file file the last blocked atack is from feb-26th (4 days ago). And before I got 25 to 50 atacks an hour.
Also the Internet Trafic Monitor sees no traffic, even though it realy is there.

I noticed something was wrong when I shut down all my programs and still packages were send/received to/from the internet. So I closed al processes in the task manager, which could be closed. And still traffic was going on.

I wonder if anyone has noticed the safe problem, and if there are any solutions, I tried removing and reïnstalling already.

Some figures about my TrendMicro software:

component: version:

program 11.10 (build 1299)
antivirus 6.810/6.810.1005/1.791.00
firewall 1.1.1063/106
anti-spam 1.11.1008/12431
dam.cleanup srvce 3.5.1119/276
spyware 0.130.00

You have a nice good old Dutch name!

I was just wondering, rather than all the automatic updates, why dont you MANUALLY update the package and see what happens? It could be something very simple, like a certain file gets downloaded to your PC but not installed, and this repeats all the time.

Yeah, real Dutch. How do you know?

Thanks for you advise but because automatic updating caused this:
FirewallUpdates.jpg

About 4 "updates" an hour. I already turned it of.

For my antivirus pattern I manually updated the software. Which includes firewall updating. (there's no option for updating the program parts separate).
This didn't work

Everything else:
  • Anti Virus
  • Anti Spam
  • Real-time scan
  • Mail scan
  • Anti Spyware
  • Cleanup service
is still working oké.

Strangely I get no errors and after the "update" the version of my firewall driver/pattern still is 1.1.1063/106. So nothing is updated.
In my log I can see that after removing and installing my firewall worked for exactly 1 minute and 25 seconds. (In which it blocked 376 attacks. In my first post I meant minute instead of hour, but I get more I attacks than I thought.) I'm not sure why it stopped, probably because it then updated himself.

Too bad I can't ask Trend Micro themselves, since you have to register :giddy:.

It would be nice to know whether it's just me (or my computer) or that other users experience the same problem. It is a problem not quickly spotted though, so all you Trend Micro users check your "Personal Firewall Logs" and if the last attack is from more than two hours ago something is wrong.
And let me know.

I just checked with a friend of mine, and he has the same problem, when you install the program it works, but when you update, the firewall stops and updates very often. Also after a update install he ask to reboot your computer. That's new as well. I did it, but no difference. There is absolutely something wrong with the firewal pattern and driver update(s) we receive(d) from Trend Micro.

I think I'm going te delete and reïnstal again, not update. And then manualy get the AV pattern and engine seperatly from their website.

I doubt very much that any program needs 4 update per hour. You must have gotten caught in an update-loop.
Don't uninstall yet, just stop your automatic updates for a day or so, then manually update. TrendMicro will surely cop on to this (mis-)behaviour.

Once upon a time (like in the good old Sixties) I used to be a Dutchman, that's why I recognize the name.

Hello,
I'm using the same program, and i don't have any problem with it. So i suppose there is nothing wrong with the Trend Micro updating service. Since you live in Holland, and i'm from Belgium, i suppose we connect to the same updateserver.
Today i received one antivirus-update, and one damage-cleanup update. The firewall update is from the 29th of february and has version number 1.1.1066/10113
I would suggest to uninstall the programm, and make a clean install after rebooting. Then try to update again.

Stevewal

I've already done the uninstall and clean install, it worked till it updated.
So I reïnstalled it again, but I haven't updated yet, just put the latest (795) viruspattern in the folder.
I wait a few days and then update again, hopefully I will receive a proper firewall engine then.
But with the original firewall driver (1.1.1063/106) from my setup file, it block attacks again, thus so far not a big problem. For antivirus I also have eSafe Desktop installed.
I've installed eSafe mainly for checking unwanted registry-editing, the only thing TrendMicro doesn't do.

Thanks for you answer, the problem could be with the download or setupfile though, because my friend who had the same problem is connected by the same hub/router as me and used the same setup file.

Check the program-settings for how often it is supposed to check for updates. Once a day should be enough.
Does your PC have the correct year in the System-date? Maybe it does nor recognize leap-years and gets confused by 29 Feb.

It is set for cheking every 3 hours,
The date isn't the problem either. The problem started at 26 Feb.

I have no idea why it won't work, tried a lot of things.
So I guess I have to look out for another firewall.

Any sugestions?????
I like a firewall which logs the attack it stopped. Giving source ip and port and destination port.

Thanks all for your help.

Try the one I am using: Agnitum Outpost Pro V2
Outpost comes in 2 flavours, the free V1 and the (bought) Pro V2

Sygate personal might be another (free) option as is ZoneAlarm.

Hello,
Why not register your product ? They offer a very good, and fast support. I allready contacted them for minor problems about configuration and they offered me very good help and fast. Four years ago i started with PC-Cillinn 98 (i'm still using Win98SE) for free but i upgraded every year for a very low price ! I'm not here to make publicity, but when the product is good ... you started your first mail by telling the same !!
Stevewal

I installed Sygate, which is a good firewall.
Only now real-time scan from TrendMicro also stopped working, so I have to go back to ZoneAlarm, which I have been using before. Too bad, because TrendMicro is a lot better then ZA.

Your right about the paying for a good product, but
1) I'm a student (lame excuse, I know, but still) > low on cash
2) I don't have nor want a credit card, so paying is difficult.
3) There are free alternatives available, so I try them first.

e-Willem, in order for Sygate to work properly alongside TMIS 2004, you must uninstall the firewall using PCTool.exe found in your program folder. Then install Sygate, and everything should work fine. TM's firewall sucks, anyway, Sygate is much better. But for anti-virus, PC-Cillin can't be beat.

Oops, I meant PCCTool.exe. This site won't let me edit my post, it just loads a blank page with a header. Ak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back