Tricky GFX Card Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rio

Howdy TS,
Well, heres the story. It's quite long so you'll have to bare with me.
I'm also not sure if this is posted in the right forums, so correct me if im wrong.
This is an issue that could or could not be related to my new G15 keyboard and is causing graphics issues.
From the top:
Ok, so i bought my new G15 keyboard the other day and absolutely loved it, checked out all the news and upgrades you can do to it etc. and made my plans to do some modding. I am a Counter-Strike: Source player so my natural instinct was to take it for a play of CS. The next day I was playing CS:S when mid-game my image froze, and sort of seperated strangely. The image wasn't the normal picture, instead, you could see the game, but it had taken it into like 5x10 pixel rectangles and changed the colour a bit. The sound started repeating in short intervals, like 0.5 seconds and it'd skip back. After a minute, i tried pressing the play button on my keyboard cos i had Winamp running underneath and i could play the music fine. After about 5-10 seconds of this, my monitor went black and into standby with the No Signal screen. Then i restarted my computer and everything had changed to 1024x768 resolution instead of my normal 1280x1024 [19" LCD]. I fixed my settings and tried playing again when the problem repeated. I normally get about 10 minutes game time in before it happens.
I thought this may be a problem with my new keyboard running with all the LED's and LCD, so i reverted to my previous keyboard and tried again, to no avail.
Some testing has ruled out the following things, if you need more details on how i've done it, let me know:
Lack of power from my PSU
Keyboard somehow causing issues.
Monitor issues/wiring to the monitor

What i can think of:
PSU did fail me and caused GFX card problems.
Sharing of resources and IRQ's.
Keyboard drivers clashing with GFX card.

Only thing is, i can stop it from freezing by as soon as its happened, alt tabbing or pressing my start button. So i think it might have a combination of freezing of the game and GFX card. Today i even alt tabbed, then tabbed back in and had normal game sound and controls, but no image. The monitor didnt go into standby, but instead black screened. This is only happening when im playing CS:S too, so it makes it even more confusing. I know most my stuff im talking about so i could just be overlooking something simple.

I'm going to upload all my specs in a TXT file cos its too long to post. This file is hosted on FileDen.
This has all Hardware information.
If you need any more info about my PC i have all information you could think of.
Thanks for any help,
Rio.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/4/1142240/Report.txt

Ok, am downloading those again now.
Was playing after making that post and got about 30-45 minutes of playing time with no problems, so it could be nothing.
Will still fix my drivers as i thought they were up to date.

Will get back to you,
Rio

Hmm.. i've had this happen to me before and it's likely to be your grahics card overheating, causing distorted images and usually your computer will hang up. This is quite possible because you stated that you can play the game for awhile before it crashes. The last time this happened to me, I had the in-game graphics turning into large pixels of green and yellow and i ended up replacing the heatsink on my graphic card to help cool it a bit:).What you can do is to try and get a temperature reading from your graphics card and post it here so we can see if it's unusually high.

Ah, i see.
I dont have anything handy to measure the temp.
Might have to try get something.
Im thinking of doing a complete computer rebuild soon so i might just leave it.
Its stopped doing it for now.
Cheers for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back