TechSpot

tried to remove IE 5, but not being able to delete!!

By mksssaju
Nov 12, 2005
  1. i had changed my browser from IE to firefox due to technical problems with IE.. but i tried removing the IE from the microsoft program manager along with limewire... when i try deleting both, the files keep appearing again.. somtimes the message"cannot delete.. being used by another user" appears.. also with this problem, my hard drive disk space is slowly reducing in size day by day.. i think all these problems are interconnected.. i had sent a HJT.txt before this message.. i guess if that is fixed , that might resolve all these issues.. is there anyone who has gone thru this situatuion, pls do reply.. if anyone knw the solution to it, ur most welcome or else my HD is doomed!!!!!!!!

2. spartanslayer

spartanslayer TS Rookie Posts: 394

ut-oh

Man, you had better backup your data pronto. I would strip the hard drive immediately. You might be causing permenant damage. Sorry, only way I can think of.

3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

You need an application like XPLite to get rid of Internet Explorer completely.

Just keep in mind that some applications insist using its components.

The reducing free space might be caused by Windows File Protection or System Restore.

4. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

as alrady pointed out removing IE without using a program like XPLite isnt going to work. even MS's solution that supposedly "removes" IE does nothing of the sort it simply hides the program from windows.

you would be better off to simply leave IE alone and make FireFox your default browser.

5. patio

patio TS Maniac Posts: 482

How do you plan on doing your Windows updates if you remove IE ? ?

patio. :cool:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.