Tried to remove w32.spybot.worm...then tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to remove w32.spybot.worm manually and i read that it was better to go into safe mode, then run a scan, then some other stuff. So, i went to the "msconfig" and under BOOT.ini I chose "SAFEBOOT". So, when i go to start it up, it goes to the safe mode windows login but it won't recognize my password. Now, I can't get past that because of what i did in the "msconfig". I can't start in regular mode and cant get past the p[assword screen in safe mode.

Is there anything I can do to start my computer in normal mode now?

If i can do that i can get some help, but I'm really at a loss.

Any help would be appreciated.

randidliyo

Please post details on computer brand, model number, age, and hardware configuration... as well as the security installed.

Try to login using the name "Administrator" (without quotes) and type nothing in the password field.

Please post details on computer brand, model number, age, and hardware configuration... as well as the security installed.
No. He should put that in his public profile.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

At the safe mode login screen, click on administrator and press enter if prompted for a password. Once safe mode has loaded, click start/run and type msconfig into the run box and press the enter key. Click on the Bootini tab and uncheck Safeboot. Click apply/ok and reboot your computer. Hopefully, you`ll now be able to boot into normal mode.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above you decide you want to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of randidliyo only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

still nothing

At the safe mode login screen, I typed administrator in the user name field and hit enter. I still got the same thing: "The system could not log you on. Make sure everything is correct..blah blah..upper case..blah".

Is there something else I can do from the F8 screen to bypass this. I've tried several things but it still goes back to the safe mode login screen. I'm really at a loss here.

randidliyo

Reboot your computer and start tapping the F8 key. When you see the options screen, choose safe mode. Once it`s loaded, you should see a login screen that has your login account name and an account called Administrator. Click on the administrator account and if prompted for a password, just hit the enter key.

Then follow the rest of the instructions in my post above.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of randidliyo only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

as i said before, when i log in as administrator and a blank password, i get the "can't log on" message, exactly as i wrote above

I have no idea whether this will help or not, but when you get to the options screen with Safe mode/safmode with networking etc. Choose last known good config and see if that helps.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back