Trip to BestBuy for an external HDD, wtf mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffykitten

Never bought a external HDD, need one, and checked the prices between newegg and bestbuy and bestbuy is doing pretty good and I am not that desperate that I need to go the ebay route so I need storage NOW! This is for media only, looking to get at this time 1TB, spend around 99.99 which I see a lot in my price range ;) .

Looking at western digital, external works easier for me and like I said it is for media only so no big deal so anything I should look for and like wise, thanks.

I need a hard drive, and u know what me fluffy kitten hates when some body holds the door open when me is several meters from the door and this person will take it rude for me to not rush now and run for my EFFIN LIFE to the DOOR cause well FU. how do you feel about that, you door opener,

Like I Always Wanted to Hold the Door at a Class Joint Like Best Buy

I need a hard drive, and u know what me fluffy kitten hates when some body holds the door open when me is several meters from the door and this person will take it rude for me to not rush now and run for my EFFIN LIFE to the DOOR cause well FU. how do you feel about that, you door opener,
Every time I accidentally get stuck holding the door at someplace like Best Buy, people just seem to keep pouring in and I can't get in the store myself. So, the upshot of that is, that if I see you coming I'll just drop the door in your face. Will that make you happy....?

Anyway, every Best Buy I've ever seen has electrically operated >> sliding doors <<. So, they don't actually need to be held.

So, you're either shopping in some back water BB, or you're full of s***! OK, there Fluff...?

There is always deals better than you can get from best buy online you just need to know the promo codes and what sites are offering the items with free shipping, no tax and mostly at reduce cost. I only visited Best Buy once in 2009 after I had order netbook dirt cheap online using promo codes and got VIP treatment perks at Best Buy when I had picked up the netbook. Suppose to get VIP parking.

door thing was a bump! anyway how is the wd mybook, i just got one of those for storage, they don't have the warranty like seagate but for 100 us for 1tb not bad and I needed the storage now.

In reality, the product reviews at Newegg.com are better than a Tech site sometimes, for sorting out what to buy. That said, you do have to "qualify" or "profile" the reviewer(s). IE; the ones with "very high technical ability", usually ruin the product, through incompetence, then RMA it. So, it's best to sort through quantity, and pay more attention the long term owners. In the case of a HDD, it might be possible to reveal a pattern of bad drives. This happened with a large number of Seagate "Barracuda" 7200.11 HDDs, of high capacity 500GB and up, last year.

Anyway, WD and Seagate are both flagship manufacturers, and buying from either generally is a fairly safe bet.

WD has some issues with the Passport drives failing. I had 250GB purchased at Target stores on clearance one failed but I was able to get it to work without sending it back to WD. Just by freezing the drive in a ziplock freezer bag in the Freezer for several hours fix the ticking noise. Today the same drive is host my mpg/avi media without issues.

Anyway, every Best Buy I've ever seen has electrically operated >> sliding doors <<. So, they don't actually need to be held.

So, you're either shopping in some back water BB, or you're full of s***! OK, there Fluff...?

Would BestBuy in New York on 5th and 44th qualify as "back water"? Just kidding, but they don't have sliding doors.

I agree with you on other accounts: both WD and Seagate are quite reliable and reviewers on Newegg puzzle me more often than not. The best pearl was from a person obviously claiming "very high" technical knowledge and complaining that since the motherboard manufacturer did not provide the mounting stands for the motherboard, he burned two (!) $250 motherboards by screwing them directly to a motherboard tray. Sequentially.

For quick storage, I ran out and I am a junkie if you know what I mean, hundred bucks for 1tb is nothing, so thanks for the help, I can always transfer this data to a more secure drive in the near future.

File System Ext3 Ubuntu only, the WD my book does not work the way it is designed for but I don't care about all that music/movie/email sorting system, raw data pretty much is how I see it through ext3, 120gb is used up when it is mounted, any idea's why this is going on, OS Ubuntu 9.10 karmic, my mistake on the ext3 wd hd, since it is external it is coming up as "fuseblk" idk why, maybe for ntfs-partitions, other users... I am the only user, root, ext3 and when it automounts 120gb is gone, any takers, i need some code.

I just installed Slackware linux and you probably have the windows backup programs in an ntfs partition on the drive (with autorun.exe etc.) You probably have to run fdisk and mkfs on it in linux to get the full capacity. I am learning linux just like you (I think); try googling "format ext3 linux" without the quotes to get the full syntax. Be careful you don't format your system partition tho; perhaps the external drive is mounted as hdb, so use that designation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back