Trivia Tuesday: Some facts about BitTorrent

By Neowin
Dec 27, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Torrenting is perhaps one of the favorite ways for internet users to download copyrighted material for free. It involves downloading a .torrent file and loading it into a torrent program, which…

Read the whole story
  2. I wish torrents didn't have such a bad reputation for piracy. It really is an awesome way to download all sorts of things. On that note, Gabe was entirely right when he said piracy is a service problem, not a price problem (or something like that). Most people that I know that pirate, do it because it is just the most convenient and straight forward (No BS/DRM). If the big media corporations would fully embrace the Internet and adjust their business models accordingly, I think piracy would greatly reduce. (Obviously there will always be the minority that will pirate no matter what)

Notable examples of BitTorrent being used legally are Blizzard using the BitTorrent protocol to distribute game clients like Starcraft, WoW, Diablo, etc. and of course Linux distros. I know there's plenty more but I think that gets my point across.
  3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Also little known fact, an anagram of BitTorrient is Bro Rent Tit.