Trojan.peacomm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failsafe

Hi ,

Norton ( yes, I know ..... ) is telling me I'm not protected agianst this threat.
The icon on the task bar is flashing red.
If i click on the protect now option or try to do a live update nothing happens ( my definitions are up to date ).
My brother has rung me to tell me his is doing this and a friend has rung me to tell me his is doing this also.
Does anyone have any idea what is going on?
I have checked my system32 folder and the registry for the crap its meant to install but the system is fine.
Whats going on with this message, anyone have a clue ?

After readiing about various Norton problems from other users I think that I might just get rid !!

But until I do .... ?

I suggest you go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment. I`ll then check to see if I can find anything untoward.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of Failsafe only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

The good news is, I can see nothing nasty in your HJT log.

THIS is what the Symantec site has to say about the Trojan.Peacomm.

This thread is for the use of Failsafe only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanks for the reply Howard.

I didn't think there was a problem, its just that Norton is advising me that I am not protected against this threat but when I select "protect me now" there is nothing to download.
as I said two other people I know have exactly the same issue.

As soon as I noticed it, about 3 hours ago, I did a bit of hunting on the net and found the message from Symantec that you've linked.

It would be interesting to know if any other Norton users have the same issue.

Cheers

It wouldn`t surprise me if lots of other Norton users were having the same problem.

To be honest, I wouldn`t touch Symantec/Norton crapware with a barge pole.

In my opinion, you`d be better off getting rid of Norton and using one of the free AV and free firewall programmes in this thread HERE.

So is Norton really that bad ?

I've used Norton since 2002 and up to 2005 which is currently installed.

Does it make a big difference to overall system performance when removed?

Cheers

Yes, it makes quite a difference to system performance, not to mention, I don`t think it`s a very good programme.

Take a look at these threads HERE and HERE.

After reading the above, I`ll let you form your own opinion lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back