trojans remnants on the hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

berri

I had a trojan horse on my computer last week. Spy Sweeper detected it and I deleted it from my hard drive. I also erased the restore points.

I was told to come here and follow the instructions to clean my hard drive as there could be more trojans remnants on the hard drive.

I found doing a scan with Super Antispyware a adware.tracking cookie in c:\documents and settings\sher\cookies\sher@cgi-bin(2).txt.

I also found a tojan.malware in c:\dumpling\errordoctorsetup.exe and deleted both of these files.

I was not able to update my java, because it said it won't go on the machine, I would need
windows XP Sp 2 which I don't have. I have windows XP version 1a on a dell 8300 machine.

Currently I am not able to use windows explorer to browse websites and the seach function on the hard drive does not work. Also I am not able to get my machine into safe mode.

This is continued from the previous post.

Would someone kindly help me with these results of the scan, which I used Hijack this as follows:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 7:34:20 PM, on 9/9/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Boot mode: Normal

Pasted logs removed
This is the rest of the hijack log in whole. Please help me out.

Thanks.

Your Log looks clean @ least to me, maybe someone else will find something.
As for your other problems........ I would suggest that you do a repair of windows or do a complete re-installation. After repair you might have to reinstall dell drivers.
You should also update windows with the latest service pack(sp3). This will allow you to get the latest fixes, updated Program compatibility and the latest security updates.

I also see that you are using Norton anti-virus. Norton is no good therefore I suggest that you use another any of the following will do; Avg, Avira or Avast. These Av programs are free, more effective, and requires less of your system resources.

"System Restore"

Hi :

IF possible, I recommend you investigate the Possibilities of using the "System
Restore" programming that is built-in to your Operating System by going "back"
to a Date PRIOR to when you started having problems . There is a "Tutorial" at
www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial56.html .

From looking at your HijackThis log, it shows an outdated Adobe Reader, a
serious security risk. Would be Best to uninstall this program and get the safer
"Foxit Reader" from www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php .

And the Java from Sun that is appropiate to your Win XP SP1 Operating System is
Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 16, available at
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp . I know because I have the
same Operating System as you .

NOTE : Should NEVER "Upgrade" an Operating System UNLESS One is reasonably
Sure One is malware-free ; should also look for possible "Driver" Updates from
Dell PRIOR to considering "Updating" an Operating System .

NOTE : Should NEVER "Update" an Operating System UNLESS One is reasonably
Sure One is malware-free ; should also look for possible "Driver" Updates from
Dell PRIOR to considering "Updating" an Operating System

I agree, but a repair may aid in solving the safe mode issue. If we get safe mode working, maybe then we'll be able to find and remove any unwanted programs that are still on the system, them we proceed to updating the system.

restore points

I am not able to restore my machine as I deleted all the restore points that were on my system after I deleted the trojan horse. I didn't want it to come back, as I had had that happen on another computer. I also deleted all the restore points after I found more stuff on my machine after the initial trojan horse. I hope my machine is clean now.

If I repair my machine, will anything happen to the settings of my programs, especially internet explorer? I know IE is not working correctly right now, but was just wondering if it would affect my programs.

Thanks.

A repair only repairs windows system files. Your settings or data should not be affected.
After you have done this please update your system. It is not recommended that anyone use an unsupported OS....that is just asking for trouble. Before doing this though, contact dell to see if there are any issues that might cause a problem for your system by doing a sp3 update.

repairing xp

How do I tell what kind of hard drive that I have? I know I have a western digital, but not sure of the sectors.

I am unable to use the checkdisk function for some reason, so I can't diagnose my system that way.

I was told to diagnose my hard drive before starting a repair.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back