Trouble Hibernating PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

antjscott

Hey there everyone!

I have an Asus A8n-SLI motherboard, AMD Athlon 3200+, 1GB DDR ram, Xpert Geforce 6600 512Mb Graphics, and 160GB, 300GB SATA HDD's, and a 30GB IDE HDD. just recently I've reinstalled windows XP home edition after reformatting one of the drives. now my issue comes where i want to hibernate my hard drive. ok so i go into power options>hibernate, tick the enable hibernation button, click apply>ok. click on start turn off computer, go to click on hibernate, but it comes up with the error message in a bubble in the bottom right hand corner:

Windows - System Error

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API

now i know for a fact the only thing that has changed since reformatting is I put in the 300GB HDD, and prior to doing so, and prior to reformatting, hibernating my computer worked fine. Is there someone out there who can assist me in fixing this issue? Thanks

ok... well that link on the site states only if you're running sp2. i'm actually running sp1... so according to that link, the hotfix only applies to sp2...

hmm issue with that being, resolution: update to sp2... something which i dont want to do. because xp sp2 is nasty... i dont like it... limiting of tcp/ip connections, the firewalling... etc etc..

antjscott said:
hmm issue with that being, resolution: update to sp2... something which i dont want to do. because xp sp2 is nasty... i dont like it... limiting of tcp/ip connections, the firewalling... etc etc..
xp sp2 is nasty.? not objectively true. go with the flow.:knock: future systems will be based upon these concepts and you might
as well get over it now. you can bet you will be sometime soon.

When I purchased a new laptop with XP/home installed, one of the first things
I did was to implement the LUA concepts of VISTA. It impacts software install
only slightly but gives far better security for normal dya-to-day operations.
Just how many installs are performed per day anyway?

ok ok. i shall update to xp sp2. now altheman, excuse me for being ignorant, but i cannot remember how to change the amount of tcp/ip connections, would you be able to tell me how?

altheman has gone to bed.I`ll have to answer as usual :rolleyes:

There`s a patch, or,if you prefer, manual instructions HERE

the cited article notes:
I have no problem with the new default setting limiting outbound connection attempts. Still, users should have the option to easily disable or change this setting.
You only need to worry about the number of connection attempts per second if you have noticed a slowdown in network programs requiring a number of connections opened at once. You can check if you're hitting this limit from the Event Viewer, under System - look for TCP/IP Warnings saying: "TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts".​
this should be an abnormal condition. Servers reply to inbound requests and
do not create new connections to do so. suggest you monitor the Event
and notice it is a condition you actually encounter :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back