Trouble Installing Windows Xp Pro

By thomas264
Dec 25, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Installing windows xp pro. Trouble with setup. Gets through first part fine
    but when restarting enters windows setup again without going into GUI MODE. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The first time Windows asks you to press any key to boot from cd do so. After that do not press any key to boot from cd again and setup should continue.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. DanishGuy

DanishGuy Newcomer, in training

I have the same problem!

I have the exact same problem, and no for me it does not help not touching anything.
    I have installed a new harddrive and now I am unable to install anything on it..

Anyone who can help? I am getting really desperate..
  4. SepH111

SepH111 Newcomer, in training

u might want to try looking in bios ... whats u first boot device or something and change it if its still cd rom
  5. DanishGuy

DanishGuy Newcomer, in training

I have tried changing the boot order, but it does not help.. I am now considering if it could be a proble with my software.

I will try seeking professional (paid) help and see if it helps. But thanks for the help so far..
  6. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Make sure your new hard drive is set to primary master via it`s jumpers and is connected to the correct IDE channel.

Provided that your Windows cd is bootable, which it should be if it`s legit, do the following.

1 restart your computer and go to setup usually by pressing the F2 or delete key.

2 Once you get into setup look for the boot menu and make sure you set it to boot from cd first followed by your hard drive.

3 Put the Windows xp disk into your cd.

4 Now save your settings and exit setup.

5 While your computer is booting you will see a message that says "press any key to boot from cd" press any key.

6 When the welcome to setup screen appears press enter and then press F8 to accept the Microsoft licence agreement.

7 You will be prompted to repair an insallation press the escape key.

8 Now select the partition that you want to reformat and press the D key to delete it you will be asked to confirm that you want to delete the partition.

9 Now press C to create a brand new partition you will be asked what size you want the partition to be in mega bytes. If you just press enter then the partition will be the maximum size that you can have. This is perfectly ok if you don`t want to create multiple partitions.

10 You will now be asked to format the partition select the ntfs file sytem and do a full format.

11 Once the format is complete setup will continue.

Your computer will restart during the remaining setup again you will be asked to press any key to boot from cd DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING. and setup will continue. Once the setup is complete and you are back in Windows remove the Windows cd from your cd drive.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  7. turtledove

turtledove Newcomer, in training

hi howard, i have the same problem, went in to boot from cd and this message comes up :-
    file ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded.
    the error code is 4
    setup cannot continue.
    press any key to exit.

now my dilema is what do i do now, please help me i'm drowning in a mess of jargon here
  8. trussell456

trussell456 Newcomer, in training

once i got to where i have to delete the partition it says empty. And when i hit any button it goes to a different screen and says a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. I need help getting this on my computer so i can use it for school
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.