Trouble reverting back to XP from 7 on Asus netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

uneasyrider

My wife has an Asus 1000HE netbook that came with Windows XP. I convinced her to let me install Windows 7 for her. I did a clean install of Windows 7 and she ran with it for a while. Things were going swimmingly and it was working perfect. Much to my chagrin, she just isn't ready for the change yet... and all but begged me to put Windows XP back on there for her.

So tonight I hooked up the external CD drive and prepared to reinstall Windows XP. The disc reads fine and loads into the standard loading blue screen that XP loads when it boots off of the CD. When it gets to the point where it prepares the drives though... I get a screen that says 'No hard drives could be detected on your computer'. The only option I have is to hit F3 to reboot. Same thing happens every time.

I know nothing is wrong with the drive, because if I don't boot off of the CD, Windows 7 loads up business as usual.

I guess I'm wondering if Windows 7 didn't install some funky partition that the Windows XP CD setup can't read??

Do I need to take the drive out and try to repartition it using it as a secondary drive (not something I want to attempt, opening a netbook)?? Or create some sort of bootable CD or USB drive that will allow a repartition??

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I actually fixed the issue last night. I had to go into the BIOS and change the Hard Drive mode from AHCI to IDE. Once I did that, the XP setup recognized it immediately. After the installation was done and I installed the chipset drivers, I went back into the BIOS and changed it back to AHCI. Apparently the Windows 7 setup will recognize the drive in it's native SATA mode, but XP will not.

Thanks for your help though!! Hopefully this may help someone down the road.

Thanks, that error was first stated here >> Error Message: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system the topic has over 320 thousand views, with everyone be thankful for the post
It seems not to be solely related to Windows 7, as that post was made in 2005

Thanks for the update, by the way the chipset drivers also included (in its large download) that F6 part that may have overcome the issue of not seeing the drive, in the first place; being my reason for saying to try it.

there are TONS of driver issues with windows 7 and older computers. I too, had to revert back as intel does not make drivers for windows 7 for 952/955 chipsets..... you may have a similar issue with your drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back