Trouble with internet connection on new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi~

I recently purchased a brand new Toshiba laptop (not sure about the model...), and for some reason, I'm having trouble staying connected to the internet. My grandma lives next door (we have a duplex) and we share the internet connection through a router that is connected directly to her desktop computer. With my old laptop (A Compaq), I would only get disconnected when the phone rang, or if someone was using the phone. With this new laptop, I get disconnected all the time and it's extremely frustrating.

When I was transferring my files from the old computer to the new computer, my new laptop continuously got disconnected from the internet, while my old laptop didn't get disconnected once.

Any idea why this is happening and what I could do to fix it? I'd appreciate it. :)

Thank you~

Possible router problem might need a firmware upgrade.
Wireless on laptop is it a, b, g or n router has to be compatible.

Does router disconnect or laptop from wireless, possibly could be that router not set-up right.

Do you have sky line plugged in as for I have heard this can interfere with Internet connections.

John

1. It's a Wireless-N Router. I'm not really sure if it's compatible or not.
2. The laptop disconnects from the wireless connection. (In fact, the entire network disappears, but the computer hooked up to the router has no connection problems. Also, I have never had this problem with this router on any other wireless connection before.)
3. I do not know what Sky Line is. Can you inform me?

Have you contacted the ISP to report the problem? Possibly some settings need to be changed.

IT won't hurt to call Comcast. Ask if there is any reason for this predictive timed loss. Also ask about separate modem, then you get the router you want. You should have some equipment of theirs so they will be responsible for it. It may save a few bucks owning the equipment, but it also disolved responsibility of the ISP for it when you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back