Trouble with Linksys router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garybeafl

Hello
I have two computers hooked up to a 4 port Linksys router. I am running W2000 on one and XP Home on the other. I am using Verizon DSL service from Verizon.

Whenever I am away from my computer for 5 to 8 minutes the internet connection drops and when I try to use the internet I get a pop up on my screen that says "No connection to the internet is currently available. To view internet content that has been saved on your computer, click Work Offline. Click try again to attempt to connect."

There are two boxes one says "work offline" and the other says "try again" I have called Verizon four times to try and fix this and they said the trouble is in the router.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this by changing the settings in the router?

If it is the same as my Linksys .Open IE and click the stop button .
> type " http://192.168.1.1 " into the URL address bar hit enter.
>These pages offer all your configuration ,connection details etc.

I highly recommend you go to Linksys.com and download a Manual before you go in there . There is a lot to configure and many items could really cause you grief.

The settings you want to look over on the Linksys are "keep alive" and "idle time" in the internet connection settings.

I ended up calling them at 1-888-692-2496 and spent about an hour with a "tech" who BTW was in the Philippines. and it was 4:00 AM there.

I still have the same trouble. They want me to isolate the trouble by eliminating the router and running a Cat 5 from the modem to the tower. If the trouble goes away then they will replace my router. The only trouble with that is that the router when you install it tells the modem that it should operate in the "bridged" mode and therefore will not work this way.

I think they want you to bypass the router altogether and make sure your ISP to Modem configuration is working .
If you can access the internet while connected this way it proves to them that there is a problem with their router.
BTW a guy in the Phillipines helped me get my new linksys up and running.
We had to force a firmware upgrade before I could access the configuration pages also.
it's O.K.

Garybeafl said:
I ended up calling them at 1-888-692-2496 and spent about an hour with a "tech" who BTW was in the Philippines. and it was 4:00 AM there.

I still have the same trouble. They want me to isolate the trouble by eliminating the router and running a Cat 5 from the modem to the tower. If the trouble goes away then they will replace my router. The only trouble with that is that the router when you install it tells the modem that it should operate in the "bridged" mode and therefore will not work this way.

I'm not sure if this will help, it did help my brother who has a linksys wireless router.

I found it after much searching

Start/Run/CMD
Ipconfig /all

You want your IP address as assigned by the router and your mac address

At the prompt type

arp -s (space)ip address (space) mac address press enter
ie
arp -s 192.168.0.4 00-04-ft-56-34-r5

To check it has taken type

arp -a it should list what you have just entered.

If you have more than 1 adaptor address under "ipconfig /all" enter both, one may cause an error in which case enter the other one.

All the changes I made while talking to the Linksys tech I never rebooted once. I turn my computer off every night so today when I booted up I got to thinking that maybe a reboot would have been necessary for the changes to take place.

Well today I have only had the trouble once. I hope that it is now "fixed".

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Gary :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back