Trouble with newly installed video card

By jahnobi
Feb 10, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey everyone. I just bought and installed a xfx geforce 9600gt. when i reboot the computer it doesn't recognize any new hardware. i need help. here are my computer specs:
    Cpu amd athlon 64 X2 4200+
    Core speed: 2204.7 MHz
    motherboard model C51g+mcp51( no manufacturers name with cpu-z)
    PCI-E
    2 gig ram
    Power supply Delta Electronics
    output: +12V/15 amp 300 watts
    I also had to buy a Y- power cable to reach my power supply. I am new at this and appreciate any and all help you may provide.
    thanks in advance.
  2. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 Newcomer, in training Posts: 563

Hey Jahnobi

Do you have an older graphics card that you can try on the system? I'm curious to find out whether it's the new card that could be the problem or if it's the slot that's damaged. At first glance it sounds like a hardware problem to be honest but it could also be incompatible drivers or another software related issue. Check with another graphics card first and get back to us.

Spyder_1386 :)
  3. TheConqueror

TheConqueror Newcomer, in training Posts: 27

have you switched your onboard to Pci or AGP in bios? by default if you have an onboard vga input this

will be the connector your computer looks for try switching them and ofcourse run any software you

need after installing the graphic card.
  4. jahnobi

jahnobi Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks spyder1368 and the conqueror. I don't have an old card unfortunately. and in my BIOS there is only a menu for pnp/pci config. in this it has init display first which is set to PCIE already. i looked through everything and didn't see anything else for it. i do have a onboard nvidia geforce 6100. i don't know if this is causing the conflict.
  5. wii-ste

wii-ste Newcomer, in training Posts: 197

Do you mean that the computer will not display a screen?

I have the exact same card and the power recommendations are +12V/20A although I can just get away with +12V/18A.
  6. jahnobi

well i have no screen display and it doesn't even see the new card. when i go to install the drivers it says the VGA detected seems not XFX's product. so i don't know what that means. so it could be a power supply problem?
  7. TheConqueror

TheConqueror Newcomer, in training Posts: 27

In fact there is a chance there is you might need a better power supply did you check the requirements for your newly installed one? check the voltage on your current one :) and please please ground yourself before touching anything inside the PC hehe
  8. jahnobi

Alright i got a new power supply. it is a corsair VX550w with +12v/41a. i hook it all up and still it doesn't see my card. it says when i go to install the drivers "VGA detected seems not XFX's product. go to nvidia website to download." so could it be that my VGA is not disabled, even when i have my pcie as the init display first in BIOS? i am getting frustrated. thanks for the help so far and all future help.
  9. jahnobi

Also i have a 5 to 6 year old flat screen monitor could this be part of the problem?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.