Troubleshooting: XP File and Printer Sharing, Computers not found?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LookinAround

Guide: Troubleshoot XP File/Printer Sharing Part1 - Finding Network Computers?

[CENTER]Troubleshoot XP File/Printer Sharing, Part 1 of 3
Computers all visible?
(v1.1 10./08)[/CENTER]
[CENTER][/center]
Windows File and Printer Sharing (FPS) must be configured for a “mix-and-match” of machines / components / options. This guide helps troubleshoot XP File Sharing visibility and access problems
Visibility Errors. Some of your computers can’t see/find all others on your Windows Network
Access Errors. A user can’t connect to or is denied access when attempting to use a remote resource​
This guide has 3 parts
NOTES
  • Visibility problems must be fixed before tackling access errors. Successfully complete the visibility tests outlined in this document before proceeding to another part
  • Control Panel Classic View is assumed (applets display in single list).
    See upper left Control Panel to switch between Classic and Category View
  • This guide is specific to XP Home and XP Pro tho many “things to look for” apply to Vista as well
BASIC CONCEPT: Windows File Sharing uses a client / server model to control shared access
  • User logs on to their computer (client) and requests a resource (on server)
  • Server authenticates the client request. It completes a client to server network logon and establishes the client/server session
  • A single computer can be both a client and server if it requests resources of others while offering its own
Configuration/Setup Checklist
1. Verify Computer and Workgroup Names

• Click My Computer -> Properties. Click Computer Name tab
  • Check (note: uppper/lower case sensitivity)
    • Computer Name: (must be unique across your network)
    • Workgroup: (must be identical for all computers which share a set of files and printers)
    • To change Computer Name or Workgroup, click Change. You must restart before changes take affect
2. Verify Network Connections
Check each network connection used for file sharing. This guide assumes all devices and shares are on a single subnet (makes the task easier)
Control Panel -> NetworkConnection Check connections are Enabled and Connected. Then Rt click->Properties
  • Verify items under “used by the connection” are there and checked
    • Client for Microsoft Networks
    • File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks (only required on computers owning shared resources)
    • Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) (should always be present. Can not be uninstalled. If corrupted, see Microsoft KB299357)
  • Verify NetBIOS enabled
    • Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Properties
    • Click General tab -> Advanced
    • Click WINS tab. Under NetBIOS setting, click Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    • Close dialog boxes
  • Verify the subnet
    The subnet mask of each adaptor and device used in filesharing must be identical across the LAN
    => Start->Run, cmd. Enter: ipconfig /all (note the blank ipconfig’ and the forward ‘/’)
    => Check subnet mask of each adapter
3. Verify Services
Confirm services are set to start on boot (Startup Type=Automatic) and are currently running (Status=Started)
Start->Run enter services.msc Scroll through service list to find then check
=> Computer Browser
=> TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service
=> Event Log

To set a service’s Startup Type
=> Rt click on service then Properties
=> Set Startup Type = Automatic

If Startup Type already = Automatic but Status not= Started, there’s a problem! Look in Event Log if any clues (next step)​
4. Check Windows Event Log for errors
The Event Log service records significant events in the Event Log
To check Event Logs
  • Start->Run, eventvwr.msc
  • Click System then View -> Filter. Only check Information and Warning. Uncheck others. OK
  • Review events of last few days. In particular, since last boot.
    • Double click event for description. Click the link you find in description
    • Use Microsoft Help and Support to search Event Source and ID
Check for frootprints of known issues that affect file sharing. List below is Event Source then known issues to hevck for
  • Browser: Check on each computer
    • Firewall blocking ports needed by FPS
    • FPS not installed on a net connection
    • NetBIOS over TCP/IP not enabled on a net connection
  • MRxSMB: May indicate Browser error. Event ID: 8003 indicates a “Master Browser” error (see Part 2 for Computer Browser issues
  • Service Control Manager: May indicate Browser error. Event ID: 7036 occurs if a service can’t start. Check the description. If it says Computer Browser, check the issues above for Event Source:Browser
  • Tcpip: protocol errors. Look at Event ID and description. If TCP/IP or Winsock might be corrupted you may want to reset them see Microsoft KB299357
5. Check if multiple firewalls
If 3rd party firewalls installed, verify only one firewall is running per system. More then one can cause problems
  • Verify Windows firewall is OFF (Control Panel -> Windows Firewall. On General tab, check Off, click OK)
  • Verify other firewall is running
Testing Network Visibility
Guide presents a basic test approach
=> If no visibility issues while testing, continue to Part3 if any access errors
=> If problems, double- and triple-check “Part1” then see Part2, Computer Browser Service

Your tests should control two important variables. Assess their affect on your setup
=> Firewalls. Misconfigured firewalls may cause many problems. Start testing with all Firewalls OFF
=> Wireless. Brief gaps in reliability / performance may affect sharing. Start with LAN systems only

A) Basic Visibility Test
Test each computer’s view of Windows network
> Rt-click My Network Places, select Open
> From Network Tasks (in upper left) select View Workgroup Computers
===> If more then one workgroup: workgroup, names aren’t identical. Fix
===> If one workgroup, open to check for access issues​
B) Test Scenarios
Sample test scenarios offered below. They vary the test conditions by
=> All firewalls ON or OFF
=> All wireless adapters ENABLED or DISABLED
For each test scenario
..a) Select / configure systems meeting test criteria
..b) Begin with all systems shutdown. Then, startup two
..c) Perform the How to Test steps (above in A). If it succeeds, incrementally start systems one-by-one then test until all successfully or you find the failure point to fix

Notes
..a) Before turning firewalls off, FIRST disconnect your ISP. When firewalls are off, keep the outside world outside!
..b) A misconfigured firewall can result in errors that seem to point elsewhere
..c) Many firewall and network changes aren’t immediately reflected by the behavior you see in Windows Network. It often takes time. You can:
==> Reboot. Changes are reflected at startup, or
==> Be patient. Can take up to 15 mins for the change to be appear in Windows

Test Set 1, Firewalls: Off, Wireless: As Is
=> If works, is likely a firewall configuration issue. Turn firewalls back on one at a time to localize

Test Set 2, Firewalls: Off, Wireless: Disabled
=> If works, it may indicate the problem was corrected by assigning MasterBrowser to LAN only systems. See Part2 configure Computer Browswer Service roles on your network

Test Set 3, Firewalls: On, Wireless: Enabled
=> Incrementally test with LAN only systems first
=> Then start adding Wireless machines​

the checklist you sent me

Thanks so much. I began doing the items and came to a stall at the run: cmd: ipconfig\all. I got the message "the system cannot find the specified path" What does that imply?

I will continue down the list and will post any other issues.

Thx
Sheila

Thanks so much. I began doing the items and came to a stall at the run: cmd: ipconfig\all. I got the message "the system cannot find the specified path" What does that imply?

I will continue down the list and will post any other issues.

Thx
Sheila
Do you have a space between ipconfig and / and note it's /all not \all

ipconfig blank space /all

next steps in checking event vwr

Here's pretty much what I see from the time of the fresh install of xp pro on server and subsequent days:

tcp/ip info event: The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\ TCPIP {0B045DAE-9D8A-43E6-9839-674F5FAD3AD3} was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers.

THen a few minutes later:
The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\ TCPIP {0B045DAE-9D8A-43E6-9839-674F5FAD3AD3} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

These warnings occurred when I laid the new XP pro down on the server's HD:

Printer Driver hp psc 2400 series for Windows NT x86 Version-3 was added or updated. Files:- hpz2ku09.dll, hpzpm309.dll, hpop2409.dat, hpfmom09.hlp, hpzimc09.dll, hpzstw09.exe, hpzslk09.dll, hpzr3209.dll, hpzrm309.dll, hpzcon09.dll, hpzcfg09.exe, hpzeng09.exe, hpzflt09.dll, hpzime09.dll, hpzrer09.dll, hpzjui09.dll, hpzpre09.exe, hpzres09.dll, hpzstc09.exe, hpztbi09.dll, hpztbu09.exe, hpztbx09.exe, hpzlnt09.dll, hpzsnt09.dll, hpzcoi09.dll, hpzvip09.dll, hpofax08.dll, hpof2409.dat.

About the time of fresh install on server, this dhcp warning occurred:

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0013CEA87C55. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

I'll keep you posted.

Thx
Sheila

If you're saying these messages occured about the time you were making the server or other changes.. i wouldn't be concerned as typically does all kinds of things connecting.disconnecting / more adapters on the net and can just generate unexpected events. BUt you're not doing anything all the messages should be quite. If THTA;s not so, us know. And in eitehr case, especially if the latter, make sure you are installing and running the latest driver release for each network adapter

Hey is there a way to do this with only a wireless network? Every machine I am using at home are wireless except for my new machine which will soon be running Linux SuSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back