TechSpot

Trting to install ATI Radeon 9800xt on my K7N2 mobo but won't boot - help!

By ottlabb
Jan 21, 2006
  1. Help!

I'm a little stuck, i've just bought a ati 9800xt and when i plug it into my K7N2G msi (ms6570) mobo it won't boot, i just get a blank screen. i've been through the bios & done everything i can think of & i can't find where to disable the nvidia geforce 2 onboard chip.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,202

Have you tried setting the Init Display First to AGP Slot in the Intergrated Peripherals section.

3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +238

You probably overlooked the extra power supply connector on the inside end of the graphics card. Hook it up to your power supply and it should be good to go.

4. ottlabb

ottlabb TS Rookie Topic Starter

i got the power connectorand i have checked that the init display is set to agp, and still won't boot.

5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

In a modern system, you shouldn't have to disable the old video card.. Or change the display order. It's automatic. I say "shouldn't" because it is perfectly possible to have a firmware or BIOS issue, but it wouldn't be by design. I've never seen that problem before.

Are you seeing a blank screen or are you seeing no video whatsoever?

Blank would be the light is green on your display, but it is black. No video will mean your display has the yellow/amber light on and possibly even "No video signal connected" or simliar message displayed after a while.

6. ottlabb

ottlabb TS Rookie Topic Starter

it's like i have swiched my computer off but left the power to my monitor on, so the light on my monitor flashes green on and off. if the computer were on the green light would be consistant. so in effect what i have is a working computer with no connection to the monitor, however when my computer boots correctly it beeps, which it doesn't do when the ati card is in.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.