TechSpot

Truetype fonts not working

By nimwa
Dec 10, 2005
  1. i downloaded about 5000 truetype fonts when i install them by adding them to the fonts folder they dont work.. none of my text programs read them.. whats the problem?

2. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,425   +77

Can you be a bit more clear?

Are you saying you installed 5000 ttf files in your c:\windows\fonts directory?

If so, that's WAY TOO MANY. Windows will drown and crawl and really play up with just a 2-300 hundred fonts. It's not meant to work like that. You should use a sensible font maintenance package, like, for instance "Printer's apprentice" (shareware). This will load fonts as required, allow setting-up of groups of fonts and so forth.

If you have simply used the control panel/fonts applet, whatever fonts you have added should be available. Then using a suitable word-processor, you need to select the font you wish to use for specific text.

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +622

PC vs Mac ttf

be aware! these are not compatible, believe it or not!

4. Centurio

Centurio TS Rookie Posts: 25

This sounds to me as if you just copied the font files into your font folder.

If this should really be the case - small wonder it doesn't work. You'll have to use the proper font installation procedure in the Control Panel. And yes, gbhall is perfectly right: Windows can't handle such a large number of fonts.

Regards, Martin A

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,322   +622

Neither can Macs. Unix systems can.

It's real goofy, but no two systems use the same Font Technology;
    eg Win TTF <> Mac TTF <> X11 anything

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.