Truetype fonts not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimwa

i downloaded about 5000 truetype fonts when i install them by adding them to the fonts folder they dont work.. none of my text programs read them.. whats the problem?

Can you be a bit more clear?

Are you saying you installed 5000 ttf files in your c:\windows\fonts directory?

If so, that's WAY TOO MANY. Windows will drown and crawl and really play up with just a 2-300 hundred fonts. It's not meant to work like that. You should use a sensible font maintenance package, like, for instance "Printer's apprentice" (shareware). This will load fonts as required, allow setting-up of groups of fonts and so forth.

If you have simply used the control panel/fonts applet, whatever fonts you have added should be available. Then using a suitable word-processor, you need to select the font you wish to use for specific text.

PC vs Mac ttf

be aware! these are not compatible, believe it or not!

nimwa said:
... when i install them by adding them to the fonts folder ...
This sounds to me as if you just copied the font files into your font folder.

If this should really be the case - small wonder it doesn't work. You'll have to use the proper font installation procedure in the Control Panel. And yes, gbhall is perfectly right: Windows can't handle such a large number of fonts.

Regards, Martin A

Centurio said:
... gbhall is perfectly right: Windows can't handle such a large number of fonts.
Neither can Macs. Unix systems can.

It's real goofy, but no two systems use the same Font Technology;
eg Win TTF <> Mac TTF <> X11 anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back