"Trump is our lord and saviour": ABC News, Good Morning America Twitter accounts hacked

midian182

Staff member

How many hacks will it take before organizations start improving the security of their Twitter profiles? Compromised accounts are a problem that feels like an almost weekly occurrence. Just this morning, hackers took control of accounts belonging to ABC News and Good Morning America, posting a stream of obscenities and fake news to a combined 13 million+ followers.

At about 6 am today, ABC News’ Twitter account started posting Tweets containing the kind of language that suggested it had either been hacked, or someone on the team was having a really bad day. Several of the messages linked to another account, @the6clerk, which has since been suspended by Twitter.

The attackers also tweeted that rapper Tyler the Creator had died in a tour bus crash, as well as messages such as “we are totally russian hackers, but we love @POTUS @realDonaldTrump ;),” and “trump is our lord and savior.”

It appears that those responsible for the ABC News account hadn’t lost total control as the offending posts were deleted as quickly as they appeared, prompting the message: “Stop deleting our sh*t BRUH we too cool for dis treatment.”

In a now-deleted tweet, the ABC PR site acknowledged something was amiss and that they were working to resolve the problem. All the hackers’ posts have now been removed from the accounts. How they gained control in the first place is still unknown.

Last week, hundreds of high-profile Twitter accounts were taken over by Turkish hackers who posted messages supporting President Erdogan. They had gained access using third-party analytics firm Twitter Counter, which can send new tweets from the accounts of people who sign up to the service.

Permalink to story.

Bet this article wouldn't be here if it didn't involve Donald Trump.

It would be. Whenever a major outlets twitter gets breached the story eventually reaches Techspot.

The title, "Trump is our lord and savior" may be absolutely true, but it's also a great way to get clicks and call attention to the medias rather poor track record of security. If Rob had written, "ABC twitter account hacked," the general reaction would have been, "so?"

I'm surprised Twitter even noticed. Their accounts been hacked so many times that I thought they'd only notice if they weren't hacked. Very much like Sony.
In fact they don't bother reciting the industry standard "We take our users privacy and confidential data very, very seriously" response anymore because everybody knows they're just talking out of their butts. Now it's more like "We've been hacked again, what what did you expect when 90% of our users passwords is 123456? Get used to it and find something more interesting to report on".

Bet this article wouldn't be here if it didn't involve Donald Trump.

It would be. Whenever a major outlets twitter gets breached the story eventually reaches Techspot.

The title, "Trump is our lord and savior" may be absolutely true, but it's also a great way to get clicks and call attention to the medias rather poor track record of security. If Rob had written, "ABC twitter account hacked," the general reaction would have been, "so?"

I clicked on it cause I saw Tyler the creator in the thumbnail. I'd prefer Rob just stop putting his name in **** cause he's just stroking dudes narcissistic ego.

I'm surprised Twitter even noticed. Their accounts been hacked so many times that I thought they'd only notice if they weren't hacked. Very much like Sony.
In fact they don't bother reciting the industry standard "We take our users privacy and confidential data very, very seriously" response anymore because everybody knows they're just talking out of their butts. Now it's more like "We've been hacked again, what what did you expect when 90% of our users passwords is 123456? Get used to it and find something more interesting to report on".
Personally, I doubt tweeter discovered this. It was more likely ABC. Sites like tweeter could not give a you know what about security.

In fact, the login page here at TechSlop is not secure.

@midian182 - Really? Is TechSlop all that unaware that if the login page is insecure, even two-step authentication is useless??? You or anyone on the staff have a lot of nerve to be calling out tweeter for this when your own site is subject to hacking pretty easily without a secure login page.

Well, you got to admit, that tweet is good for a laugh .... although with the TrumpCare Act and his Supreme Court nominee in jeopardy, the old boy could probably USE a good laugh right now .....

"They had gained access using third-party analytics firm Twitter Counter, which can send new tweets from the accounts of people who sign up to the service."

Yet another reason why any organization that uses YOUR account to send spam is to be avoided at all costs.

Back