Trusted TechSpot download to be virus free... and it is

Rayss523

Downloaded Daemon tools lite and instantly got some malware attempts and the Delta Search Engine hijacker actually got in. Used to trust this site after CNET went where it did...

Edit: false positive on Daemon tools. Thank you TechSpot!

Downloaded Daemon tools lite and instantly got some malware attempts and the Delta Search Engine hijacker actually got in. Used to trust this site after CNET went were it did.... No longer
If you went to the authors home to download, you would only have the author to blame.

I don't think it's fair to blame us as a download mirror for the bloatware that companies choose to bundle with their software. Many (most?) freeware and shareware programs come with some kind of nonsense you either have to uncheck or uninstall. It's ultimately your responsibility to know what you're getting into. That said, I'll pass this along to the folks who manage our download section to either have the software removed or to at least add a warning on the page. It seems like this is a new issue judging by the recent complaints on the company's Facebook page, so thanks for bringing it to our attention.

The O.P. does make a point IMO - - we should not reference downloads that have not been scanned.
Yes, I see this one is no longer present, but it's the process & procedures that ought to be reviewed :)

TechSpot feeds most downloads through VirusTotal and they tend to stick with programs that have a good reputation. In other words, we don't just blindly list software and wish users the best of luck haha.

Great - - suggest we post a CAVEAT to that effect on the DL page :)

Jo I'm putting the page back up WITHOUT the download link and a note in the description warning users.

Downloaded Daemon tools lite and instantly got some malware attempts and the Delta Search Engine hijacker actually got in. Used to trust this site after CNET went were it did.... No longer
The truth of the matter is, Daemon Lite is, was, and always has been a favorite, go to CD emulator for cracked games...If that isn't TS's intention, then I apologize. However, no matter where your choice of download location is for this program, you're likely to get more of a jackpot than even what is packaged with it by the publisher, because of the expected clientele's likely use for the program. In short, to download Daaemon Lite, is to have been profiled beforehand.

If I remember correctly, the freeware Daemon Tools is ad supported, EVEN BY ITS PUBLISHER...! So, that kind of makes finding a clean copy, all but impossible.

TechSpot doesn't package adware with any software.

Back