Try and solve this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

formetopoopon90

Hello everyone. I have been posting this problem throughout the web and it seems as though no one can get this one. So if you can solve it, then you must be really smart. lol :grinthumb .

Hey guys, i'm new here and i had a pretty big problem :hotouch: . I'm new to building computers, and i guess i know alot about computers, so i'm not exactly a newbie. :giddy: lol. But this is the first computer that i have "tryed" to build. First of all, lets start on my problem dance.gif . My bro's computer was acting up one day and i fixed the problem. I took everything out, and put everything back in just to make sure everything was doing ok. When i put it back in the power came on for about 2 seconds, then shut off. I was really confused about it so i just played with it for a while, and it just kept doing the same thing. I finally decided that the processor was fried. I practically decided that it was junk, so i just put it in my corner. Back about 2 weeks ago i decided to build my mom a computer. I ordered about $300 in parts, so its not exactly the best computer, but it would do.
I carefully made sure that everything i ordered would fit, work, and assemble with everything else i was ordering except for the case and the new power supply. The motherboard was a Micro ATX board, and the case was a regular ATX case, and the power supply was a ATX power supply ;) . I read many topics and forms saying that the micro ATX wouldn't be a problem, with putting it into a ATX case. So when my equipment arrived from newegg.com cool.gif i put it all together. I MADE SURE EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT. I assembled everything on a table, and laying the motherboard on the anti-static case it came in, to make sure that static wouldn't mess up the parts. I also used a non-magnetic screw driver cold.gif . When i put everything together and turned it on, the SAME EXACT THING happened to the new computer, that happened to my bros computer. The power came on for about 2 seconds and then stopped. I was so mad. Does anyone know what could be wrong? It can't be any of the new parts because its all new, even the power supply which didn't come with the case, Cost about $40. The only other thing i can think of that might be causing this problem is the way i mounted the motherboard. I put Screwnut Standoff's into my case, and then put the motherboard on those, and then put just regular screws that came with my case into the motherboard, which went into the Screwnut Standoff's. I didn't use any kind of washers, or plastic spacers of the sort. Just Screwnut Standoffs and Screws. I also havn't added or touched any of the jumper settings on the motherboard. Maby i did something wrong there. Thanks. Can anyone help me. I would be very thankful. Thanks!!!! :unch:

first post all the specs of the pc and powersupply make moddel and wattage

second make shore each hole on the motherboard has a standoff

third does the motherboard have a P4 connecort attached

forth is the heatsinkfan attched to the cpu porperly

good luck

Motherboard: ASRock K7S41GX Socket A (Socket 462) SiS 741GX Micro ATX AMD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157022

PSU: Rosewill RV350 ATX 350 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182006

CPU: AMD Duron 1.8GHZ DHD1800DLV1C
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104160

Memory: pqi POWER Series 256MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141168

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar WD400BB 40GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822140118

Well there it is. All of the holes except for 4 around the CPU has brass standoff's because the case is a ATX, not a micro ATX. The motherboard doesn't have a P4 connector. Also, i dont have a headsink fan attached yet because i thought that the CPU came with one, but i will get one soon. Thank you for trying to help me :eek:

do not power up without a heatsinkfan, doing so mite kill the cpu and could be causing your problem

also i would try i different power supply as rosewill dose not make good power supplys

This must be a "How to go fromone computer to zero computer in 2 seconds".

Hopefully you will not spend extra on a new processor.

hey guys, thanks for all the help :eek: . Well i found an old heatsink that "supposivly" fit my processor, so i put it on :bounce: . The heatsink has a fan arm missing, and it makes a HORRIBLE SOUND!!! And not only does it sound bad, but its very loud. I put it on and turned on the computer and everything worked fine until about 20 seconds later :chef: . Well, i thought it was my power supply at first, because i had to flip the switch on the back, pull the cord out, put the cord back in, and then flip the switch back on to be able to restart the computer. When i restarted it, it shut down right in the exact same spot. So i knew it had to be the power supply. I took the power supply out that is NEW, and put an old one in, and it did the EXACT SAME THING. It froze in the exact same place. So i'm thinking now that it is the heatsink, because it really is a piece of S*** :angel: . The computer place hasn't been opened in the last couple of days, but it will be tomorrow, and i will buy a new heatsink tomorrow. Who thinks its the heatsink? I dont want to have to buy a new heatsink and it turns out that its not the heatsink thats wrong, but i really do think its the heatsink :rolleyes: . Thanks :)

i believe it is the heatsink, the procossor will overheat and shut off if it is not probperly attached, you need a standered scoket A HSF

would a 10 dollar heatsink be considered a cheap heatsink? Or should you go with a expensive one (50 bucks). I have alot of fans in my case, so overheating wouldn't really be a problem.

By any chance you didnt change the voltage setting on the power supply. The little selector switch that says 120 or 230.

formetopoopon90 said:
On mine its 115 and 230Vs. And no i did not. :grinthumb . What would that do if i switched them anyways :suspiciou ?

you will send the wrong voltage and frequency into your comp and fry it

I would suggest to find out which of these good people on the forum lives close to you - ask one of them to come help you out ... offering a tech fee is not a bad idea. Cheaper option than buying a new processor ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back