Try my hand at overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

agi_shi

I wish to do some overclocking. Just for the fun of it and learning, that is.

For example, increasing my processor from 2.0GHz to 2.1GHz or 2.05GHz. Technically, that shouldn't hurt anything, right? Or is 100MHz too much for the stock cooling to take care of?

Ok, so technically, I should just increase the FSB speed. Currently, it is at 200MHz. This is effectively giving me 2000MHz CPU speed due to it's 10x multiplier, yes? So, by increasing the FSB by 10MHz I should be able to get my CPU to run at 2100MHz, or 2.1GHz, yes? By the way, how do you make sure that an increased FSB won't hurt other components? Or is 10MHz FSB increase to small to hurt anything?

Thanks!

Hello,

Small overclocks a reletivly pointless, either do a lot or nothing at all.

Only overclock if you can afford a new CPU,

But if your going to overclock anyway, make sure the AGP and PCI locks are enabled, and increase the FSB in 5MHZ increments.

Once the PC becomes unstable increase the CPU voltage by the smallest possible increment.

ONLY raise the FSB if your temperatures are fine and your power supply is good.

Alex.

Nah, this was just a test to see exactly how it's done. Currently it's 42s SuperPI 1M.

Anyways, I increased by a little until I got to 220MHz FSB. Then I tested again and got 38s SuperPI 1M... not too bad, 4 seconds saved.

Once I got to 230MHz it wouldn't boot, so I reset the CMOS (with the CMOS clear jumper) and set everything to the defaults again.

It was pretty fun. But now I'm at stock again.

Hi agi_shi,

you've got the basics down pretty good.

1. I'll assume that you're overclocking through your BIOS and not through a windows based utility (unless I'm told otherwise)

2. I'll assume that you locked the PCI/AGP bus (unless I'm told otherwise)

230MHz was probably too much for your memory to handle. but we already know that it will run at 220MHz.

you'll need to find the memory ratio/divider setting in your BIOS. the divider works off the cpu speed (not the FSB). at stock it would have used a divider of 10 (same as your CPU multi), but since you raised the FSB you will need to use a higher divider to bring the RAM speed back down below 220MHz. for example, if you raised the FSB back up to 230MHz and used a RAM divider of 11 then your memory will run at 209MHz (which will probably allow it to boot)

good luck :)

KingCody said:
Hi agi_shi,

you've got the basics down pretty good.
Lol, I guess. I've never overclocked before, so I just wanted to see how it is, and what the results are in the real-world (not through some benchmarks or something).
1. I'll assume that you're overclocking through your BIOS and not through a windows based utility (unless I'm told otherwise)
Yup, through the BIOS. Is it possible to do it from a windows app? Which one?
2. I'll assume that you locked the PCI/AGP bus (unless I'm told otherwise)
Only thing I found were "speed spectrums"... I'm pretty sure I didn't hurt anything though, I only had it like that for a minute or 2.
230MHz was probably too much for your memory to handle. but we already know that it will run at 220MHz.
Yes, probably was my memory since it didn't even boot. Though a simple jumper on CMOS_CLR for a little time fixed everything :). I checked CPU-Z, and my ram was at 400MHz before overclocking. After over-clocking to 2.2GHz it was at 440MHz.
you'll need to find the memory ratio/divider setting in your BIOS. the divider works off the cpu speed (not the FSB). at stock it would have used a divider of 10 (same as your CPU multi), but since you raised the FSB you will need to use a higher divider to bring the RAM speed back down below 220MHz. for example, if you raised the FSB back up to 230MHz and used a RAM divider of 11 then your memory will run at 209MHz (which will probably allow it to boot)
Good point, I forgot about that :D. Anyways, my mobo isn't that good so I don't know if it has enough features, but I'll look into it. This is my family machine (don't have enough money to have my own machine), so I don't want to mess it up... Because then I'd have to buy a new CPU, and due to money I'll have to get the 3000+. And compared to my X2 3800+, I don't want to get that :).
good luck :)
Thanks!

Technically speaking, nothing should burn out unless I increase the voltage or my temps go too high, right? Just in case, I put the shut-down temp at 70C just in case, but I don't think it'll go that high.

Thanks!

I wandered through my BIOS a little more, and set my FSB to 220MHz again...

I looked at RAM things, and the only thing I found was a "limiter". This "limiter" allowed me to limit my RAM to DDR 400/667/800. But, I don't have DDR. I have DDR2 800 (Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800). So should I set it to something maybe?

Cool!

I limited my ram to DDR 667, and now it's running at 383.5MHz instead of 400MHz due to the 230 MHz FSB... So this should allow me to up the FSB even more until it reaches around 440MHz again (thats the maximum overclock I reached without crashing)...

I won't be upping the voltage, so I'm going to see what the maximum is without more voltage. Currently at 1.296V it's stable at 2.3GHz.

I want to ask something. If you overclock, but don't increase the voltage, is your CPU life still limited as much as if you upped the voltage, or does it have a longer life than if I upped the voltage? About how long of it's life do you think overclocking by 300-400MHz took off?

Also, I can't lock the PCI/AGP buses... But I don't have any PCI OR AGP cards/slots (well, I have PCI ones, but no PCI cards), so will this be a problem? Maybe for my harddrive? I have no problem if I lose all of it's data, as long as it isn't permanently damaged.

w00t

w00t, at 2.4GHz. Temps are fine, but but I set it to 70C shutdown "just-in-case". Better be safe than sorry :).

At 1.296V it's stable, but once i pushed it to 2.5GHz it couldn't boot without a a volt increase. But it's fine at 2.4GHz, I won't be pushing more volts.

Now that I think about it, I might just get myself a 3200+ (single core version of my dual-core 3800+) [very cheap] just to play around with for overclocking.

I'm assuming you are using socket 939, in which case a 3200+ is very good for overclocking. I got mine from 2.0 ghz to 2.4 ghz without increasing the voltage and I don't have a AGP/PCI lock either. Just make sure that the 3200+ is a Venice Core.

MetalX said:
I'm assuming you are using socket 939, in which case a 3200+ is very good for overclocking. I got mine from 2.0 ghz to 2.4 ghz without increasing the voltage and I don't have a AGP/PCI lock either. Just make sure that the 3200+ is a Venice Core.
AM2 Winchester :D. Though what do the code-names really mean? Can I find a chart or something :)?

I put it back at 2.0GHz now though. Even though it didn't run much hotter, (and I didn't increase the voltage), I got enough of it for now. I just don't want to ruin my CPU accidentally, with everything being at stock.

I'm going to get this sexy cooler for it, and maybe then I'll leave it at 2.4GHz.. After all, 400MHz with no voltage increase shouldn't lower it's life much, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back